Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Burnt wire, power issues

Old 08-16-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Burnt wire, power issues

I was looking at getting another xj and found this one, only guy went to get it running and said it burnt a battery cable up after he connected the battery. I haven't seen it as it's a good little haul for me but didn't know if some of you tech guys might have an idea on it.

It's a 01 xj.

Here's what he said
Ok, put a new battery in the Jeep today (8-15-15) and a wire connected to the battery cables burned in two, so it is not driveable. So now, it does not have a battery. I've added a picture of the burned wire for reference. It's right next to the fuse box that sits behind the battery on the passenger side fender.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The problem is not the burned wire. The problem is whatever caused the wire to burn.

You don't know? Neither does anybody else. It could be minor, it could be major.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
The problem is not the burned wire. The problem is whatever caused the wire to burn.

You don't know? Neither does anybody else. It could be minor, it could be major.
Yeah, I asked in hopes something similar had happened to someone else, I haven't seen anything like that in all my years around vehicles and realize it will take some chasing wires down to figure it out. Again, just hoped someone had seen or had an issue like that.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2015, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Pass, it's FUBAR.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by ducter
Yeah, I asked in hopes something similar had happened to someone else, I haven't seen anything like that in all my years around vehicles and realize it will take some chasing wires down to figure it out. Again, just hoped someone had seen or had an issue like that.

Thanks
I have never seen that either.
I hope someone chimes in.
If not contact member 5-90. He is the man for battery cables.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.

That is what happens when you wire the battery up the wrong way one of my friends did this to his YJ when he was first learning about cars.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by DJeXeCute
That is what happens when you wire the battery up the wrong way one of my friends did this to his YJ when he was first learning about cars.
Thanks for that, might be some bargaining power... No real way I suppose to be 100% sure that's the issue without fixing the wire and reinstalling the battery. Jeeps an 01 with 230k+ miles for 850, deployed air bags, bumper and both fenders pushed in. I don't really care about the bumper as I'll make one for it anyways, fenders I can repair or replace cheap enough just have to see if any damage was done to the uni body. Only other concern is the fact it's an 01, suppose at those miles head gaskets been replaced already.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The burned wire you showed us is a fusible link. It's a wire that acts as a fuse. It's made to burn exactly like that to protect the power distribution center and other electrical components from current overload. It's replaceable. If you buy this Jeep, make sure it gets replaced with the correct fusible link wire and not just whatever wire is available, or else you'll burn up your system when it surges again.

Before you replace it, you need to figure out (or at least formulate an educated guess) what caused it to blow. It could be that the battery was somehow installed incorrectly as was noted above. Did it blow immediately when the guy installed the battery? Or did he install the battery without incident until he tried to crank it, and then it blew?

Originally Posted by ducter
Only other concern is the fact it's an 01, suppose at those miles head gaskets been replaced already.
It's not the head gasket that you have to worry about with an '01. It's the 0331 head itself. Those heads had a casting flaw that causes some of them to crack between the #3 and #4 cylinders for no reason, even when the Jeep has been properly maintained.

Last edited by extrashaky; 08-17-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

That is the wire that is connected to the alternator. Replace the wire, alternator and the battery cables and should be good to go. don't forget to redo all of the grounds in the engine bay wile you are in there.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by dans98xj
That is the wire that is connected to the alternator. Replace the wire, alternator and the battery cables and should be good to go. don't forget to redo all of the grounds in the engine bay wile you are in there.
x2 b4 replacing follow that wire and see if its pinched somewhere causing short to ground.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by dans98xj
That is the wire that is connected to the alternator. Replace the wire, alternator and the battery cables and should be good to go.
Without finding what caused it to blow in the first place? Fusible links don't blow just because they get in a bad mood one day.

Rotsa ruck with that.