Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Jeep Cherokee XJ Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

BULBS for Instrument Panel - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default BULBS for Instrument Panel - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

It's fairly easy to remove the IP clusters from the dashboard. It's just slightly difficult to get at the bottom screw on the heater cluster. The main cluster comes out with 4 Phillips head screws. The Seat Heater/Rear Wiper cluster comes right out and the Heater cluster comes right out. Now for the question. There are 4 of 5 different bulbs that go into these clusters. On the main cluster, there are two types. One of the bulbs is a 194. What is the number for the smaller ones? The Seat Heater/Wiper cluster has 3 tiny bulbs that unscrew 1/4 turn with a small regular screwdriver. The bulbs have a blue vinyl cover over them. What is the number of this bulb/socket. The Heater/AC cluster has two different bulbs. What are the numbers of these bulbs? I have searched for a list using Google, but can't find either a list or a definitive list stating: these bulbs are specifically for my Jeep. Also...who carries these bulbs, so I don't have to take out an equity loan to pay a Jeep dealer? For something as serious as the illumination of an instrument panel, there is very little information as to exactly which bulb to buy. I am quite surprised at that. There is plenty of info on how to disassemble the dash...but what the heck do you buy for bulbs, what are their numbers, and WHERE can you buy them. Thanks.

Last edited by bobA; 04-26-2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I went to superbrightleds.com for my bulbs for the switches fog/rear windshield wiper...) ....they are 1/4 neo based I got some LED in the same...and they work great!

The switches need the 4mm LED in NEO4 lamp. I went with the blue thinking that it needs that to look right...so now mine are blue back lit...you may want to just get plain white and it maybe closer to the right thing. But they will have your bulbs you are looking for.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 AM

...Not to beat a dead horse, BUT: One would think that Chrysler/Jeep would care about safety to the extent they would be able to tell you exactly where to buy the bulbs that are necessary to illuminate the clusters in the instrument panel. They DO NOT service these clusters down to the level of replacement bulbs. How pathetic. One dealer was asking $182 for the entire cluster containing the Heater and AC switches...rather than sell the "twist-out" bulbs. Talk about why people don't buy American cars!!! I have a '90 Acura, and there is not one single part on that car that does not have a part number! I could buy ANYTHING for that car. Unfortunately Chrysler/Jeep does not give one hoot about helping in this problem. I guess people who own Jeeps just have to wait for all the lights to go out...and go buy a new car!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up Little Bulb for Rear Wiper instrument cluster

I'm writing with regards to the little bulb behind the panel for the rear wiper, Over Drive and Rear Defroster Switch. If you can get a parts person to actually work with you, they can get you a new bulb for this panel. The Mopar Part number is 04864512 and cost about $10 each. I found the bulbs that belong to the heater panel at NAPA. Good luck Bob. Ken