Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake master recommendation?

Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Brake master recommendation?

So I have always been unhappy with my brakes performance, so I've replaced the brake master, the brake booster, pads/shoes, rotors/drums. I've adjusted the rears, and bled the brakes a number of times. but I just don't like how mushy they feel. I think the master I've installed might not be good. It was a rebuilt from autozone.

I know my booster is good, at least it does not have a vacuum leak, and my lines are freshly bled as of friday morning.

is there a brake master you would recommend for an 89 cherokee? I was looking at rock auto, but not sure which route I should go.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

I don't like rebuilt master cylinders. Try a new one next time, I had good experience with Cardone Select series. (A-1 Cardone is the rebuilt series)

Also, you need to confirm the distance between the brake booster push rod and the master cylinder is correct. Kind of hard to do without the right tool. But it can be done with a vernier caliper and a series of measurement. You need a slight gap, not too much and not too little. I think it was around 0.030 or 0.040" but I'd have to try and find that spec again.

You should replace the brake hoses, they get mushy from age and lead to poor pedal feel. Also, they are cheap.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, and I've also bled the whole system many times since, Once because I put on new brakes lines, another time when I installed the brake booster (it developed a leak), another time when I swapped out the rear axle, and then again this weekend because my brake fluid was black and smelled nasty.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kstopp
I don't like rebuilt master cylinders. Try a new one next time, I had good experience with Cardone Select series. (A-1 Cardone is the rebuilt series)

Also, you need to confirm the distance between the brake booster push rod and the master cylinder is correct. Kind of hard to do without the right tool. But it can be done with a vernier caliper and a series of measurement. You need a slight gap, not too much and not too little. I think it was around 0.030 or 0.040" but I'd have to try and find that spec again.

You should replace the brake hoses, they get mushy from age and lead to poor pedal feel. Also, they are cheap.
I have brand new steel braided brake hoses. Well, they are about 2 1/2 years old, but have maybe 4-5k miles on them is all.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kstopp

the cardone select is available at rock auto, is that the one you're talking about? its a really good price.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Upgrade to a 96' XJ booster or do a ZJ/WJ booster/master swap.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/br...pgrade-194211/
Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by LACK
Upgrade to a 96' XJ booster or do a ZJ/WJ booster/master swap.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/br...pgrade-194211/
I'm only on 31's, I've looked for 96 in JYs near me, but have had 0 luck so far.

But I know that there is a problem with my brake system, not that its weak, my brake goes to the floor, if I have to do any moderate braking at all. significant braking is scary.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
the cardone select is available at rock auto, is that the one you're talking about? its a really good price.
Yeah, it should say "New" somewhere in the description just to be sure.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

I'm only on 31's, I've looked for 96 in JYs near me, but have had 0 luck so far.

But I know that there is a problem with my brake system, not that its weak, my brake goes to the floor, if I have to do any moderate braking at all. significant braking is scary.
when i have a pedal that goes to the floor its always bad rear brakes.
that could include the master cyl to the shoe adjustment and all between, leaky lines,bleeding good.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Do the upgrade 99 to 04 WJ booster and master.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Definitely up grade brake system with single diaphragm booster never worked good.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
when i have a pedal that goes to the floor its always bad rear brakes.
that could include the master cyl to the shoe adjustment and all between, leaky lines,bleeding good.
welp, I checked the rear brakes since that takes just a few minutes to do, and it looks like the auto adjuster is not doing anything at all, and I manually adjusted them. Its an improvement for sure, but not still not where I want it. Looks like I'll be doing the upgrade to a zj, my problem is I've looked at junk yards near me, and all the boosters and master cylinders have all been yanked already... Guess I'll keep looking.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

welp, I checked the rear brakes since that takes just a few minutes to do, and it looks like the auto adjuster is not doing anything at all, and I manually adjusted them. Its an improvement for sure, but not still not where I want it. Looks like I'll be doing the upgrade to a zj, my problem is I've looked at junk yards near me, and all the boosters and master cylinders have all been yanked already... Guess I'll keep looking.
auto adjusters,,,dont work.
get the back as good as you can.i replaced tubing from master to rear axel connection,pumped juice thru and tightened it. spliced a piece up front,pumped juice thru. never touched bleeders since i always break them off. got good firm pedal!! good for 2 months.