Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake lights don't work

Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake lights don't work

Ok my brake lights are out running lights still work blinkers still work hazards and stop lights do not. I replaced bulbs nothing I replaced the brake light switch nothing the fuse seams good BUT when I press the button on break light switch like I was pushing pedal there is a clicking sound from fuse box under hood pulled all relays still makes sound pulled fuse still makes it I am really stumped thanks guys
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

What year is it ? Electrical diagrams of your year may help if someone here has one.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

What year is it? Have you messed with your battery cables? On some Cherokees there's a small wire that connects to the battery from the fuse box that feeds power to the hazard fuse in the PDC. If you have a test light check and see if youre getting power to the hazard fuse underneath the hood
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM

It's 92 and the wire is connected to the battery I even went and got a new terminal
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Okay so the next step would be confirming you do indeed have power to the hazard fuse, if you don't its either a broken or corroded connection on that wire or, I believe there might be a fusible link or a plastic connector on that small wire that could be bad. If you have power at the hazard fuse then check for power at the brake switch, if memory serves correctly the pink wire should have constant power. If you don't have power there then there's either a brake in the wire between the PDC, also check to make sure that you're getting power through the fuse. If you've got power to the brake light switch then I'd recommend taking off your left quarter panel trim, behind it you'll find 3 connectors, clean the black one and check for any broken wires. If that doesn't do it then try disconnecting the green connector, this is for your trailer harness, botched splices or broken wires can cause problems with the rear lights. I just had this problem and went through all these steps, I eventually figured out that it was because I had disconnected that small wire while I put new lugs on my battery cables and neglected to hook it back up. I wish ya luck bud, electrical gremlins can be a pain!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 AM

Does anybody know what these wires mounted to my fender on drivers side are there is six of them a wire from battery runs to the first one
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM

Ok really stumped did everything you said used test light on fuse and it lead hot so I then went to brake light switch it also was hot I then pulled the trim off and the trailer light setup was already unplugged by previous owner there were no splices into brake lines I checked the visible ground that's right there looks clean and secure so what now I need help I need my jeep!!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you disconnect the black connector behind that panel and clean the contacts? That is the connector for all the rear lights. You can take off the tailights and turn on your hazards or brake lights and check for power at the bulb bases. If you're getting power to the wires on the base then the inside off the base where the bulb is could be corroded. If you aren't getting power to the wires then I'd bet that black connector is loose or something. You said you replaced all your bulbs?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Connecter looks good I replaced the bulbs yes not sure if they are getting power but the running lights still work so that would eliminate something to do with bulb socket
Old 01-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Check the grounds too. Get a tester and check current down the wires to see if it is broken somewhere.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 AM

The ground on brake stop switch connecter is good there is a ground right there that grounds the lights it looks good nice and clean bolted firmly
Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Dirtyhabit
Ok really stumped did everything you said used test light on fuse and it lead hot so I then went to brake light switch it also was hot I then pulled the trim off and the trailer light setup was already unplugged by previous owner there were no splices into brake lines I checked the visible ground that's right there looks clean and secure so what now I need help I need my jeep!!!!
Check for current thru switch .Then check sockets for current .
Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 AM

Switch has power and ground is good and I went and got another brake light switch already to make sure it wasn't that
Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Dirtyhabit
Switch has power and ground is good and I went and got another brake light switch already to make sure it wasn't that
New or old confirm power in and out a must ? Jump the plug then check for power at lights with test light .

Last edited by freegdr; 01-28-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:36 AM

One from the junk yard looks good tho and what do you mean jump the plug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake lights don't work