Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake caliper keeps locking up

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default brake caliper keeps locking up

ok so i was driving today going around asking about applications i put in and then i decided i wanted to go to walmart... dad wasnt happy about that.. he wouldnt have know if this wouldnt have happend. my driver side brake caliper locked up. smoking like crazy i pulled in to walmart. its done it once before... what can cause this? i hope to get fast replys because its still sitting the the parking lot lol. is thier anyway i can fix it without getting a new caliper? if i did get a new caliper is thier any danger of blowing out the other side because of the pressure the new one will use? thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

replace both rubber brake lines on both sides....go from there.. the rubber inside the hoses goes bad and they hoses acually clog up...holding pressure on the calipure... simplest way to see if its the hose... WHEN ITS LOCKED UP... WHILE you are having a problem... just crack the bleeder and if it un freezes... its the hose... and dont replace one hose do both... or it will pull from side to side...
Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Year: 1994

Depending on your mechanical knowledge. Sounds like the piston is hanging up or your slides are hanging up. Quick fix depending on how far you have to drive would be to take the wheel off, bang the caliper with a hammer (not beat it to death mind you just tap on it). That may loosen it up. If not, you can use the brake change method, apply pressure to make the caliper release. I use a large screwdriver to get it started, just slip it between the cooling vanes of the rotor and ease the caliper back. DONT FORCE IT TOO HARD!!! You dont want to risk cracking the rotor. Take a pair of vice grips and pinch the rubber part of the brake line and zip tie the vice grips out of the way. You can then drive it a short ways being very careful.

You need to either take the caliper apart and clean the piston very well, if you know how to, or just go and get a new one. Pressure wont change with having a new caliper.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

so wait. its the piston locking up i know that. but if its the line and i get a new caliper it will still do it?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:19 PM

Year: 1994

Yes. If its the lining in the brake line, the problem will still exist.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

is it locked up right now ? if so crack the brake bleeder and see if fluid spits out... and it un locks....
Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

its at walmart still.. im at home.. it's probly going to sit thier for the night.. its about to worry me to death knowing it too.. but im hopefully going to fix it tomarrow. so when i first get thier, i unskrew the bleeder valve and if fluid spits out then its the hoses?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

OT Camp Kill Yourself, System of a Down and Korn

Like your nic (and taste in music)
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 AM

Year: 1999

Mine was the caliper. The OEM calipers have a composite piston and causes problems. I ordered a replacement with a steel piston, problem solved.

It could be the hose collapsing, but on mine I have SS extended lines that are fairly new, so I knew that wasn't it.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

Originally Posted by Hommersimpson
replace both rubber brake lines on both sides....go from there.. the rubber inside the hoses goes bad and they hoses acually clog up...holding pressure on the calipure... simplest way to see if its the hose... WHEN ITS LOCKED UP... WHILE you are having a problem... just crack the bleeder and if it un freezes... its the hose... and dont replace one hose do both... or it will pull from side to side...
What he said.
I've seen it many times, on everything from my S15 Jimmy, to Lincoln and Taurus.

you want to verify that is the issue, open the bleeder with it locked up and it will squirt fluid like your holding the brake.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Did anybody happen to put anything other than brake fluid in the master cylinder? Oil or ATF in the master cylinder will cause all of the seals to swell up in the whole hydraulic braking system, every rubber part would have to be replaced.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM

I had some contaminated brake fluid (someone pouring something into the wrong container) that siezed both front calipers on a '85 Trooper once. Purges the lines and master cylinder and all was well.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Year: 1996
Default brakes

my pass, side locks up when it has been sitting for a while untill it warms up it will lock the tire up by just tapping on the brakes, at first i thought it was because my brakelines were stretched but idk. ive just said screw it lol