Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

blinkers not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default blinkers not working

just bought 1996 cherokee, the ignition was just replaced, not sure if it worked before. but when i use the blinkers, nothing no little green arrow, turn sound, i get nothing. any ideas why? i checked fuses, bulbs yadda yadda yadda. im not a complete car retard, but not exactly sure why the darn blinkers wont work
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6

your flasher is probably bad.. the round thing on your fuse block
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

ive found out though that the flasher controls the hazards and the blinkers, my hazards work.
also i dont have a front left blinker, the wires are there but the socket and bulb arent, if that is any more info you might need

edit:
ok i found the flasher and turn signal box things, sorry im a car tard. i found a blue box and a red box, which would be the hazards? and which would be turn signals. if these are them at all

Last edited by jrms93; 07-09-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6

what year is your xj?
put a new bulb connector on the wires for the left and put a new bulb in it and i bet it will work
Old 07-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Was the ignition switch replaced? I had a similar problem and this did the trick for me.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 PM

the ignition switch was just replaced like a week ago maybe if that long, i pulled both the relays, (red and blue) and i switched them to see if that would work, nothing, all i know now is that my turn signal relay (red) is bad, because when i put it in the blue's socket (both the same amount of "blades"/prongs) the hazards stopped working,

so i take it i should put in a new socket and bulb, replace the relay/flasher and i should be all set/legal? someone tell me if im correct, if im wrong please tell me, also if i could just replace the relay and not the new socket, will the other 3 work? or not?

someone asked what year, its a 1996 cherokee v6 4.0l

someone also please help me find a relay, i cant find one anywhere, not one thats specific for the turn signals that is

Last edited by jrms93; 07-10-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I written in other threads how I fixed this similar problem I had with my 96 cherokee. My turn signals would not work, but hazzard lights worked. I looked at fuses, bulbs, flasher control and then started tracing the wires back from the sockets and found there is a connector under the air filter box behind the drivers side turn signal. The wires corrode and break at the connector pins. Check your wires at this location. I asked my Jeep mechanic friend if the wire harness needed replaced and he said they just cut out the connector and solder the wires together. There is just enough wire to make this work. If you don't want to cut all the wires and still use the connector, just use a jumper wire and splice the brokes wires with the matching wire after the connector. I cut the wires for the turn signals before and after the connector and spliced them together and now the turn signal lights work great.
Will sometime in the future splice all the wires and remove the connector.