Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is bio-diesel ok?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is bio-diesel ok?

When I bought my Jeep it came with this receipt http://cv32.com/cherokeeforum/BioFlush.gif
(The AA is a roadside recovery company)

I would have thought that the XJ diesel would have no problems running on bio-diesel but the receipt says it does. Is it possible the receipt actually means 'vegetable oil' and not proper bio-diesel. 'Congealed oil' sounds like vegetable oil to me

Is there an official stance from Jeep about bi-diesel and the XJ ?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

As previously mentioned. XJs with diesels are as rare as chickens with teeth over here. Sorry to say that your answer will have to come from your side of the pond.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood how strongly you meant rare! I thought you meant hard to find but after a bit of research it seems the weren't sold in the States so they would have to be imports from Canada or Europe. (a very small amount of research)
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The 2.5TD was never sold here. But the earlier 2.1TD was sold here...Its just VERY rare....

But the concepts remain the same. The sheet leaves out probably the most important piece of information. What was the temperature when it happened.

Bio-diesel is has a higher gel point than regular petro diesel, but it would have to be fairly cold for that to happen. B100(100% bio) has a gel point near 40F. But as you increase the petro content that point drops away rather quickly.
Unforunately, the description AA provides sounds more like a sales pitch than an accurate description of the service provided. But from that description it does sound like someone attempted to run SVO/WVO in the tank without pre-warming it.

I was under the impression that using WVO/SVO was against the law in the UK? It was considered attempting to evade the fuel tax....