Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

battery looses charge after jump

Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default battery looses charge after jump

so on the way into town yesterday my jeep died on me, first the radio went then the guages, and then it started sputtering like it wasnt gettin fuel but i could hear the pump running and i now it has gas, as the elec stuff went the gauge was steadily dropping, also this is on a brand new battery and yes i kno just cause its new dont mean its good, so today i went and got a 136A alternator and put it in(PITA), jump start it with the wifes focus, it sounds great and strong, then i take the jumper cables off and jump back in the jeep real fast and watch my gauge drop real fast and then the jeep dies, i have no idea which it could be so tomorrow hopefully im gonna get an optima and see what that does, any advice is GREATLY appreciated
Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 AM

I had the same problem. This is what you need to check. First lift the relay cover and check your starter relay connections. Second, check your wire that runs from your starter realy to the alternator. Third, take the alternator out and take it to the auto parts store to see if it holds a charge. This problem normally happens when the wire going from the relay to the alternator has a short or somewhere along the line you installed a car stereo incorrectly. I'm not making accusations, just troubleshooting while blind. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: I6

Had the same exact issue with my Ford. It ended up being that my ground to the Alt was grounded on the STA port. A new alternator was the trick. Originally though I didn't think that's what it was. When fully charged do your lights sometimes dim? I also had a short and when I slammed the hood the lights would brighten up lol.