Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery? Alternator? Both?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default Battery? Alternator? Both?

98 XJ 4.0

Battery has died multiple times recently. I jumped it last night, it started, disconnected the cables, then let it run for 20 min. I go to start it this morning, and it cranks sluggishly, tries to start, then fails. I try to crank it again, and right when it catches, I hit the throttle to try and keep it running.

It would not.

If I kept on the throttle, it would rev, roughly, but the second I let go it world die. Did this twice, then it just wouldn't crank anymore.

The battery is older and could use a replacing, but before I do that, I want to see if it could be the alternator
Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

If you can get it to one of the parts places like Advance Auto they'll do a free diagnostic and scan with print out.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

probably just the battery. when they're boosted from dead, it takes a bit for the computer to let it idle properly.

start with just the battery, then if you are still experiencing problems, get the alternator tested.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Charge the battery till it fully charged with a charger overnight if necessary then try to start it and see what happens. If it starts and runs fine then take it to AutoZone and have them do a load test on the battery and check on the alternator also.

This could be a number of things but these are where you want to start. If the battery is that old buy a new one and keep it with you till needed or you find another problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Charge the battery till it fully charged with a charger overnight if necessary then try to start it and see what happens. If it starts and runs fine then take it to AutoZone and have them do a load test on the battery and check on the alternator also.

This could be a number of things but these are where you want to start. If the battery is that old buy a new one and keep it with you till needed or you find another problem that needs to be addressed.
^^THIS.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be: 1. Loose ground - could be shorting the system.
2. Battery
3. Alternator - on high mileage alternators brushes and spindle wear out.
4. Parasitic drain
5. Loose belt

2. Battery check
Get a cheap multimeter and test the battery voltage. On the meter, put it on 20V DC (won't be over that number) and put red lead on positive and black on negative battery terminal on a newly charged battery. Optimal would read 15V with surface charge.

3. Alternator check
Turn the car lights on for a few minutes to take the surface charge drained (and deep charge at full). Turn the car on and check the meter again. Optimal would be just over 14V. If drops below 12V, alternator is not charging (could also mean voltage regulator in ecu not working but its pretty rare.)

4. Parasitic drain check
You would need to put the meter inline (series) with the battery (not parallel) and pulling each fuse while car is off and battery fully charged (with surface charge drained).

If all checks out, check for 1.loose grounds.