Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

View WantACherokee's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee
Default Balljoint Replacement?

Found out today my '91 needs new upper and lower ball joints on the passenger side of my front axle, figure I should just do all four at the same time as the others are likely just as old. How difficult is this job to do for a home mechanic? A shop quoted me $320 for the labor to do it, I would rather save the money if I can do it myself. I have done balljoints on cars, it was a PITA but doable, but I have not done the job on a 4x4 with a solid front axle.

Will this job require any kind of a special press beyond the standard variety that I can rent at an auto parts store? Also, I do not have air tools but I do have a big breaker bar. I assume I will need to drain the front diff and pull the cover to pull the axle shafts out. Does anyone have a good writeup of how to do the job on a Dana 30? (my Haynes manual is worthless on this one, pretty much just says to take the car to the dealership and have them do it. yeah right...)

I sell Neon injectors! (703's and 784's) PM me if interested!.
WantACherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Honorary Moderator

View 96_xj's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

here is a full write up I did

http://www.cherokeetech.com/VBull/sh...nt-Replacement

it is not bad just time consuming

SITE RULES
Project Black Sky
1996 2-door
4.0 - AX-15 - NP231 - 35x12.5" Baja Claws - lots of engine add ons - and lots of goodies (but not enough...)
Homemade Roof Rack
custom 3/8" front bumper

hard work and respect get you nowhere in todays life... what a shame maybe someday society will become less selfish

selfless over selfish
96_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View razor02097's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

You will not need to remove the diff cover to get the axles out.

A 3 pound mini sledge is also a good tool to have on hand. If it is the same as my 1998 cherokee you will need a 13 millimeter socket, a 36 millimeter socket, a 3/4" wrench, and a 30 millimeter wrench....maybe a wrench size I forgot...

There was a post saying you have to remove the zerk fitting in that link but Believe it or not there is enough room to leave the zerk fitting in the lower ball joint.

You can check out the build link in my signature. I made a post about when I replaced the ball joints in my 98.

Sub BoughtXJ
.............Universal torque spec
Do until
SoldXJ = True
.....Tighten until it gets loose again,
.......WheelXJ..............back it off a quarter turn.
.......BreakXJ...............If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.
.......RepairXJ
......UpgradeXJ
Loop
End Sub
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View caged's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

it's quite easy to do yourself.
there is a 3 part how to video on youtube. search for jeep cherokee ball joint replacement.

yeah, you need to borrow the tool from the parts store to do the job. you pay for the tool in full up front, then get all your money back when you return the tool. it's totally free. deposit is about 200 bux tho.
1997 tj 2 inch bb, 33 trxus, trailhead customs tube fenders, titan 10k winch
1999 tj 2 inch bb, 2 inch bl, 33 mtr
1949 cj3a
all plated, insured and driven

OF4WD #3875
caged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View EVILXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

I was in the same boat as u. Done them on other vehicles but never a solid front axle. I put it off for a month or so and ate up $400 in tires. After getting down to it and taking my time it is very simple. Just time consuming. Dive in. Its not bad at all
EVILXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Do you hear banjos?

View COSXJFAN's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Be very careful pressing them in, especially if you are using a borrowed parts store press. The pressing surfaces are not square with eachother, and the loaner presses usually don't come with tapered dies. It can be done, but it is easy to get the ball joint out of whack, when pressing it in, and that can tweak the press. If you trash the loaner press, you become the proud owner of a tweaked el-cheapo ball joint press, good times!! Good luck, it is an easy job, just thought you should know this...

STEELER FAN TIL DEATH!!!
BAN OWNERS, NOT BREEDS!!!
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS ARE GREAT PETS!!!

Miguel, fetch my cigarettes!!
COSXJFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

View WantACherokee's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

Thanks guys, I will study those threads and watch those YouTube videos, sounds like it should be pretty straightforward...

I sell Neon injectors! (703's and 784's) PM me if interested!.
WantACherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

View wikiwaugh's Photo Album My Photos
91 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_xj View Post
here is a full write up I did

http://www.cherokeetech.com/VBull/sh...nt-Replacement

it is not bad just time consuming
Dude thanks for the write-up, I know it's pretty straightforward but it's good to know I'm not crazy lol. Do you happen to know what size of adaptor you needed? I'm looking at this one at princess auto right now, seem to be pretty similar to the one you have....

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...-Joint-Remover

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #9

View Crayhunter's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Talking Ball joint replacement advice

Just did upper and lower ball joints on my 1996 XJ Sport, spent hours researching and still had some major issues so thought I would share in the hope this will help someone out so......
First bit of advice, do NOT try this job without as a bare minimum:

A decent half inch breaker bar
A decent small sledge hammer
A number 36 socket (to get wheel nut off)
The correct tool to press the ball joints out

I read countless threads where superheros claimed to remove the joined with a big hammer and a socket another good one was the use of a real big g-clamp. Don't even waste yah time entertaining these ideas I broke the biggest g clamp miter 10 sold then broke an industrial g clamp borrowed from my neighbor then broke a number 5 bench vice, before ordering the press from eBay in America, once I had this tool the job was relatively easy.

Bear in mind that even thou the good guys at eBay claim the press they sell will remove the ball joints they don't, I had to get a couple of pieces of pipe made up to allow the tool to do the job

In NZ our total population is like 4 million so we don't have the hire tool shops etc. I live in New Plymouth and have the tool and fittings so if any one is close buy and wants a hand with this job I am happy to help just flick us an email at bogarcutsdowntrees@yahoo.co.nz
Crayhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #10

View Carl48's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

IMHO this job is a real PITA but that may be because of the road salt rust situation here in Michigan.

A mentioned, you MUST get the press perfectly aligned to press the studs out and in...otherwise you won't move the studs and you may ruin the press. You may have to improvise some adapters to get the press aligned.

Depending on how things go, plan on spending all day and maybe more on this job especially if it is your first go at it. Good luck.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
CF Veteran

View ZINGGG's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

One thing you don't NEED to do is remove the wheel bearings from the axle shafts. You can pull it out as an entire assembly. This is once you put the caliper put of the way and pull the rotor, you take out the 3 12 point bolts holding the wheel bearings to the knuckles an the shaft/bearing assembly pulls out as one.

If needed to replace, UPGRADE!!

'96 XJ 4-door Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP231, HP D30, 8.25
w/ 4" Teraflex lift, 33" BFG K/Os on Black Rock Soft 8s, 4.56 gears (thank you RWKHausSupply), APN header, Precision Auto Injectors, bored throttle body (thank you Thexjfiles), Spectre Intake, 2.5" Magnaflow catback (thank you mudfrog), Optima red top, Kelley's WiP 4 gauge battery cables (thank you 5-90), 10" cubby subwoofer (thank you KFXHellRaiser), 1-ton steering (thank you SeriousOffroad), front Crusader prerunner bumper (thank you JCR Offroad), sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier (thank you Ares Fab), Hyline Hood Vents, Truck Lite LEDs and more
ZINGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech