Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Bad Oil leak...Not the rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6
Default Bad Oil leak...Not the rear main seal

Ok, time for another question while my jeep is down and out. I recently replaced my rear main seal(what a job!) and I fixed that oil leak.
Now there is another one.
It is a 92 cherokee limited and the leak is coming from the passenger side of the engine. I can't figure out for the life of me where it is coming from. It kinda looks like it is coming from near the oil filter. I checked the filter and it is on properly and there is no oil coming directly from the filter. It is not the pan either. It drips far to the passenger side.
The leak is pretty bad, I am concerned that there could be a serious problem.
Is there another common place to check on Cherokees(like the rear main seal)? Or does this not sound common?
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

oil filter adapter gasket, mines leakin too and it looks like hell too but that where i got it narrowed down too, its where the elbow for the oil filter meets up with the engine block
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Check around the distributor..There is a gasket there as well that can leak. Also like the above post could be the o-rings in the oil filter adaptor thing. There are a couple that need to be replaced. Both are cheap fixes.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
oil filter adapter gasket, mines leakin too and it looks like hell too but that where i got it narrowed down too, its where the elbow for the oil filter meets up with the engine block
X2-- Thats just where mine is as well. Just happend to notice it last weekend while under the hood
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

dont forget the oil pressure switch. located next to the Dizzy.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Year: 2001

could be the o-ring on oil filter i have a leak from there also and my rear main seal could also be leaking.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Mine is leaking from the oil filter adapter too. I bought the o rings from the dealership for like $5. go directly to the dealer for this! AZ only has the large o ring, the dealership has all that you will need to do the entire job. I have not put mine on yet, because i havent had the time to do it. plan a little longer than anticipated, because the torx bit is super hard to get to because a motor mount is in the way. sometimes i have heard the torx bolt is pretty well stuck in the motor and takes alot of effort to get out.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Year: 1989

There are 3 o-rings?

I just came back from Kragens with one
Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

yup there are three
Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 L (242 CID

the oil filter adapter leak is common on all xj's allong with the oil pressure sensor above the filter mine dosent leak at idle but if im on the highway pushing 70psi u start to smell it.. someday i might fix it lol
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM

The oil filter is the problem. It is a fun time...go to the dealer and get the correct o rings. Advance Auto took two trips and a large amount of oil on the floor when the first o rings did not seal correctly. Next trip we got the correct size ones and with a little more effort the entire process worked out good. The oil leaks have disappeared with the repair of the main during the same time.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

I have found that oring seals can be a pita to break loose especially with heat cycles that engines see, sometimes a few smacks with a mallet squarely can be very helpful to get it loose, just be sure to hit it square.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Unless jeep has changed the type of O rings it originally used on the adapters the OEM are not the best choice to use when replacing.

You can go to a hydraulic supply store and get viton or other hi quality o rings which will handle the heat and not get hard over time like the OEM ones do.
Usually the adapter leaks are not from blown o rings but from the o rings hardening and not sealing properly between the adapter and block.

I paid $9 for the hi temp/quality o rings for mine.

You can get a T60 torx wrench on ebay for $12 shipped and you will have to cut the end off it and weld a piece to it to put a cheater on. A torx socket will not fit between the frame and adapter.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM

I replaced my oil pressure sending unit. Fixed 85% of my leak issues....I never looked at this as a problem because my pressure never showed any signs of getting weak.

I'm guessing my O-Rings at the filter might be hard/dry because I've got a slight oil bubble that drips off the lowest point of my filter. I just put a new motor in about 40,000, crate motor, but i'd say they could have hardened being shipped back over seas and sitting in GA for a while at the jeep assembly plant holding facility i bought it from.

Originally Posted by 92muddycherokee
Ok, time for another question while my jeep is down and out. I recently replaced my rear main seal(what a job!) and I fixed that oil leak.
Now there is another one.
It is a 92 cherokee limited and the leak is coming from the passenger side of the engine. I can't figure out for the life of me where it is coming from. It kinda looks like it is coming from near the oil filter. I checked the filter and it is on properly and there is no oil coming directly from the filter. It is not the pan either. It drips far to the passenger side.
The leak is pretty bad, I am concerned that there could be a serious problem.
Is there another common place to check on Cherokees(like the rear main seal)? Or does this not sound common?
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM

Use brake cleaner/carb cleaner to remove all oil...wait a day or two and see where it is "wet". I just did this on mine and actually found that I am leaking oil from the head gasket. It is "wet" along the entire right side of the engine right where the head meets the block.

Anyone ever experience this? Is this a common occurrence on the 4.0, because I have never seen an engine leak oil in this location.

Quick Reply: Bad Oil leak...Not the rear main seal