Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Axle Bearing

Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Axle Bearing

I realized today that my jeep was pulling to the right so i jacked up the right front tire and tried to turn the wheel with my hands and it barely wanted to budge. So i thought it was the axle bearing so i started to take the hub assembly off i took the one big nut off and the three on the back side and it still dont wanna come off but what gets me is now the when i try to turn it it turns fine so i was thinking it might be something to do with the brakes ? and is there a special puller i need to get the hub assembly off or if theres some other bolts i need to take off or something ?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

okay here is what you do, put the bolt the bolt towards the front of the jeep back in but only partially, put a deep socket or reg socket with the ratchet still on there, start the jeep and crank the wheels and when the socket buts up against the knuckle it will pop the hub right off this works i just had to do it, make sure you put plenty of anti seeze on the mating surfaces you will thank yourself later i promise
Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

its the breaks man, probably the line. Here is how you check. Put all together, started it and pump a few times, if the wheel is hard to turn break the bleeder loose. then try to turn the hub with a screwdriver or something in the studs, if it turns easy now u know its a line, if it doesnt turn easy it is either the caliper, or slider pins
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0L

Just cross your fingers and hope the hub assembly comes out in one piece. Talk about a nightmare if it comes apart. mine came apart i had to pull both ball joints and put the knuckle in a press to get the other piece out. Turns a fifteen minute job into a 3 hour job good luck. And claygrassman wish i would have read your info before changing mine thats a good idea
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
its the breaks man, probably the line. Here is how you check. Put all together, started it and pump a few times, if the wheel is hard to turn break the bleeder loose. then try to turn the hub with a screwdriver or something in the studs, if it turns easy now u know its a line, if it doesnt turn easy it is either the caliper, or slider pins
it could be the breaks yes but yesterday when i pulled the hub off my parts jeep to get the shafts out i couldnt turn the hub by hand at all and if the breaks were stuck you would def smell it when goin down the road and might even see it if they caught on fire which is very possible, but yea it could be the breaks good info on how to check tho
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Year: 1990

Well i bolted everything back up and cracked the bleeder valve and it turned fine so i guess its the line. Im gonna go see how much a brake line is today.