Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Auxiliary electric cooling fan ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Auxiliary electric cooling fan ???

Ok I have been told or read somewhere that you can put the newer say 97+ auxiliary cooling fans on the older say 91 XJ's....Has anyone done this or know if it can be done?

Only reason I ask is that the newer ones have more blades and in theory should push more air, there for be more efficient at cooling..So I am curious if this is a direct fit or does it require some modifications to make it work?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Physically the fan fits but I think the electrical plug is different. That is all I remermber being different.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 PM

Plus can be swapped easily if it's the same number of wires...I may pay a trip to the bone yard tomorrow and do a little comparison..
Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Ok did some searching and posting on another site and found some info out...The 97+ is a direct fit you just have to change the plug and go from a 20 amp fuse to a 25 amp fuse..So I think this is a change on the list..Can get one at a bone yard probably for around $20 or so..
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Ok did some searching and posting on another site and found some info out...The 97+ is a direct fit you just have to change the plug and go from a 20 amp fuse to a 25 amp fuse..So I think this is a change on the list..Can get one at a bone yard probably for around $20 or so..
That is what I remembered but did not remember the upgraded fuse. Good to know thanks okc.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 AM

NP...figured I'd share the info I found out incase others have the same question..The 10 blade pushes a little more CFM's so it will help in cooling..Next is to find a writeup on adding a switch that will allow me to turn the fan on full time if need be..
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Renix Super Guru

NP...figured I'd share the info I found out incase others have the same question..The 10 blade pushes a little more CFM's so it will help in cooling..Next is to find a writeup on adding a switch that will allow me to turn the fan on full time if need be..
Just use a 30A relay and inline fuse straight from your battery and let your switch power the coil on the relay. Make sure you pick a hot that is only hot with the key on so it doesn't run your battery down.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Just use a 30A relay and inline fuse straight from your battery and let your switch power the coil on the relay. Make sure you pick a hot that is only hot with the key on so it doesn't run your battery down.
If possible Could you do a write up on this because i want to do the switch so i can turn my fan off and on when needed? Does anyone know of a write up on this. I have searched a few places but cant find anything? Thanks and sorry if I'm jacking your Thread OKC!!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Renix Super Guru

Not sure I can do a write up. It is pretty straight forward. Pick the hot wire to the fan. Tap into it and run that to a 30A relay(from any good parts store) from the relay run that lead through a fuse to the battery. (relays have two sets of posts one for the load which you just selected and the other side for the coil which when powered brings the contacts inside the relay together) Now on the coil side. Select a wire in your fuse panel which is only on when the key is turned on. From that wire to your switch and from the switch to the coil on the relay. You can put a small fuse on that wire as well if you like. The last post on your relay goes to ground. Now you have power to the coil of the relay when the switch is turned on. Thus you can engage the contacts of the load side of the relay by switching on your auxillary switch. When the switch is on and the key is on the fan will run.
Hope that explains it in enough detail. I looked for a wiring diagram and couldn't find one. The relay will have a diagram telling you which post (numbered) does what. There will be four posts. Most fans draw about 17 amps so 30 amp relay will more than handle your fan.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 06-25-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spellinz erers
Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 AM

I think I understand it pretty good...I plan on doing this once the summer semester is out and when I do I'll post a writeup with pics as well..
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Renix Super Guru

I think I understand it pretty good...I plan on doing this once the summer semester is out and when I do I'll post a writeup with pics as well..
That would be great. I have used this for years on cars, trucks and Jeeps. It works and is easy to trace if you have a loose connection somewhere.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Yeah seems like a good method of doing it...I'll look over wiring diagrams and such then when the semester is over I'll tackle this..Gotta get some lift spring on first probably end up with 3" lift till after I graduate...I want a long arm so bad....but must not ruin the gas mileage and pocket book till I graduate and have a new DD..
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Not sure I can do a write up. It is pretty straight forward. Pick the hot wire to the fan. Tap into it and run that to a 30A relay(from any good parts store) from the relay run that lead through a fuse to the battery. (relays have two sets of posts one for the load which you just selected and the other side for the coil which when powered brings the contacts inside the relay together) Now on the coil side. Select a wire in your fuse panel which is only on when the key is turned on. From that wire to your switch and from the switch to the coil on the relay. You can put a small fuse on that wire as well if you like. The last post on your relay goes to ground. Now you have power to the coil of the relay when the switch is turned on. Thus you can engage the contacts of the load side of the relay by switching on your auxillary switch. When the switch is on and the key is on the fan will run.
Hope that explains it in enough detail. I looked for a wiring diagram and couldn't find one. The relay will have a diagram telling you which post (numbered) does what. There will be four posts. Most fans draw about 17 amps so 30 amp relay will more than handle your fan.

Thanks Blue that works Great. I am going to try to get to doing this pretty soon.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.7 Stroker

Ok...without doing a huge write up.

The trigger for the electric fan is Ground. You can run a switch with the fan by supplying a ground. Basically you trace the wire back to your temp switch on the gooseneck. Tap into the lines and run from there to your switch.

When you flip the switch, you supply the same ground the temp sensor does so the fan kicks on.

Also...I put the 10 blade model on my 90xj and I believe the plug was exactly the same. It dropped in...put the two 10mm screws in to hold it and plugged in. Did the switch mod as you don't need relays at that point and power taps and such. Supplying a ground is 10 times easier for wiring. Two wires and switch...and two splices. You attach one wire to one side of the temp sensor and the other wire to the other side of the temp sensor. Switch basically shorts the wires together which is exactly what the sensor does. Ground is supplied by the sensor then.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by Bouncy
Ok...without doing a huge write up.

The trigger for the electric fan is Ground. You can run a switch with the fan by supplying a ground. Basically you trace the wire back to your temp switch on the gooseneck. Tap into the lines and run from there to your switch.

When you flip the switch, you supply the same ground the temp sensor does so the fan kicks on.

Also...I put the 10 blade model on my 90xj and I believe the plug was exactly the same. It dropped in...put the two 10mm screws in to hold it and plugged in. Did the switch mod as you don't need relays at that point and power taps and such. Supplying a ground is 10 times easier for wiring. Two wires and switch...and two splices. You attach one wire to one side of the temp sensor and the other wire to the other side of the temp sensor. Switch basically shorts the wires together which is exactly what the sensor does. Ground is supplied by the sensor then.
Thanks again I have just used my application for lights and other stuff that required 12v. Have not changed the fan. You can use the ground if that is what the temp sensor uses. I was not aware that the fan was just grounded to energize it. It must get it's 12v from some where. Is it hot all the time or key only?

Quick Reply: Auxiliary electric cooling fan ???