Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ASD relay keeps dying!!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L High Output
Default ASD relay keeps dying!!!! Help!

Hello all!
This forum has been incredibly helpful in the past and so I put my challenge to you once again - hoping that someone will be able to assist me!

I've recently had some starting and running issues. Then one day she just didn't start. Started about a week later out of the blue but then refused to start when I tried about an hour later. There was no spark. After replacing the coil and still no start I bought a multimeter and tested the input to the coil - there was to voltage to the coil! Therefore I went out and bought a new CPS. Fitted it and we had life again. The Jeeps been running for about a week now - probably done about 100 Kilometers (40 miles) with her. Suddenly she dies...
Engine cuts completely, along with the power steering and the brake booster! So I pull to the side of the road and get under the hood. Assuming there's a bad connection I wiggle all the visible/reachable wires and ask my wife to start up. She turns the key and the Jeep starts first swing.
I assumed there was just a bad connection somewhere so I went over all the visible wiring and cleaned all the connectors to the various sensors surrounding the manifold.
She ran for about 2 days after that incident. Now she wont start again. I tested the relays to discover that the ASD relay is broken so I replaced it with another. I drove about 10 mins with the new relay in until she died on me again. Ive just tested the new ASD relay that I installed and its also broken.

Whats braking the relays? The relay fuse is still fine - its not blowing but the relay itself IS!

Any ideas that may help?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 AM

I tested the relays by checking the resistance and by applying 12V to the two terminals and testing continuity with multimeter. When power is applied they do not complete the circuit. The 'switching' mechanism doesn't seem to work.

When the relay 'breaks', 'blows', 'dies', whatever one calls it, then the Jeep fails to start - it simply swings and swings and doesn't fire up. I needed to get home so I looped a piece of wire between the two contacts in the relay socket - just to make it 5 Km's home. That does the trick and she seems to run fine like that. The wire doesn't get hot or anything suspicious.

An extra detail that I forgot to mention is that when I turned her off she continued running for a good 4 seconds once the key had actually been removed from the ignition. Not sure if this is relevant but it sure as hell seemed odd!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Maybe check your powers and grounds to the pcm . the pcm controls the asd relay (ground side)
Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4cyl

I actually had this problem. There were wires by the transfer case they were rubbing on the driveshaft shorting it out. wouldnt do it all the time just when they hit the driveshaft a certain way. might not be your problem but maybe take a look
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM

THANKS for all the help but Im still not fixed!

There was a wire that seemed a little scuffed rubbing on the side of the transfer case. I insulated in properly. But that hasn't helped.

I checked the pcm grounds aswell - all seem good and tight!

I drove her round the block earlier and noticed that the 'check engine' light is on!
When I turned the ignition on (before starting) a "GEN" light also came on but then turned off after about 3 sec.
Anyone know what this light is for?

Im really starting to get frustrated!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Oh yes and how could I forget...

She is putting out some black smoke and there seems to be a unusual sound coming from beneath the shifter/handbrake. Upon starting an odd sound comes from the left side, almost sounds as if its coming from the glove box or just below. Then when I shift her into 'Drive' this wierd noise comes from below the shifter/handbrake consol.

This is worrying me!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee limited and my asd relay is buzzing making my cherokee not start ANY HELP!
I also changed the relay but no good
Old 12-25-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

^^ This is an off-the-cuff response to your problem, so I don't have specifics.

But it sounds to me like whatever is switching your relay on or off is causing it to chatter; the relay itself is not to blame. But if it chatters like that for any length of time it will wear out - fast!

Find the device that switches your relay on and off, and you've found your problem - either the widget itself, or (as happened to me) a bad connection in the wiring harness connector that plugs into said widget.

Dan
Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4 cylinder

I have a 1998 cherokee sport 2.5 ltr engine. It blowes the f20 a 20amp fuse in the engines PDC and f22 under the dash on passenger side it controls the rear wiper. (engine dies will crank till i insall fuse 20) I put in a new asd relay and many fuses can not find where it shorting together. when engine is it hot it does blow fuse quicker and codes read a auto zone where all 4 injectors and asd circuits bad the first time bad. all fuel injectors ohm at 12 ohms and hot 15.9 to 16 ohms i did repair bad burnt cracked wires at connector of CPS but no fix. cracked from heat from engine valve cover and head.
It blowes th fuse for rear wiper but ony have to replace f 20 to under the hood to make run but if i put in both both blow. wiper will work after f22 is replaced. i have not had time to have codes re read to see if other problems

Last edited by cableguy54; 05-23-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding info