Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

anyone ever have to down size their oil filter size bcz the stock size doesnt fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default anyone ever have to down size their oil filter size bcz the stock size doesnt fit?

I had to get an oil filter have the size because I couldn't get the stock oil filter to fit on because the block wouldn't let me screw it on!!!!! What the!? seriously... has anyone ever had this problem?

I could get the OE size filter to grab the threads but there was so much tension against the block I couldn't screw it down because it would just press against it more and more making it almost impossible unless I modified the end of the filter bb buckling the end to a cone shape almost............ and we all know how bad that would compromise the durabilty, purpous and life of the filter

wtf.... after 3 trips to the auto parts store I finally settled on a Bosch oil filter half the size.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

did you reference your change of thread size for oil filter warning on your firewall above your oil filter? dont hurt them threads
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

? I dont think Im getting what youre trying to say.
Pics?

Edit: I was talking to the OP.
Troth posted at the same time as me...

Last edited by 89Laredo; 03-01-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he's saying make sure you have the correct thread size in the filter so you don't mess up the threads on the oil filter adapter
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM

I don't really know how to say it... its awkward.

I purchased oil and filter. 10w-30 oil x6 quarts (penzoil yellow non synthetic) and an oil filter (bosch) for my type of Jeep

I removed the oil, then filter and let it drain for a bit. Then upon trying to install the new filter I noticed it wouldn't let me screw it because it would press against the block. stock size = [___] the filter I could fit = [_]

I can't possibly be the only one with this type of problem?

anyone ever experience this or have to change the size of the oil filter from what "OE" at your local NAPA or Autozone is?

I got the same thread size and the threads were not damaged... filter size just not as long

Last edited by 978Jeep; 03-01-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just did an oil change and I used a Frahm ToughGuard filter with no problem fitting it. What year is your Jeep and what motor does it have?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Year: 95

The only way i see it not fitting is if you got the wrong one in the box , sometimes parts get miss boxed.

happens all the time
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 978Jeep
I noticed it wouldn't let me screw it because it would press against the block. stock size = [___] the filter I could fit = [_]
If you can get one off thats this size ( [___] ) with out it hitting the block then you for sure can get the same size back on. So you must have had the wrong filter in the box like said above.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 AM

1997 Cherokee Sport 4.0L I6
Funny thing is the previous owner encountered the same problem because after failing to get the stock one on, I comnpared oil filters dumb-founded and noticed the previous owner encountered the same problem and they too installed a smaller oil filter!! So its not just me. Not only that doesn't seem out of the ordinary because there is nothing in around the oil filter block and filter mount that would bend, its all a solid steel/iron block!

This is weird... I'll try and draw a diagram =

How it should be:
_________ <--normal block is straight
[|||]==== <-- filter (OE filter)

How it is:
________ <-- bend in block/arches a little
/ [|]==== <-- OE doesn't clear bend/arch

Either way, after installing new oil and smaller filter it runs great and oil pressure is normal (took 6 quarts exactly, reads safe on dipstick)

Last edited by 978Jeep; 03-02-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Give us part numbers for the oil filters and take a picture of what you're describing. Sure it can be tough to get around the oil pressure sensor, but most threads here talk about using oversized filters. Sure it is a tight squeeze for the oversized variety, but they fit.

We need more than [___] style diagrams.

s
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM

dammit... already drained and filled and used a small oil filter...

How much motor oil will I lose if I remove the oil filter? Will I lose whats in the filter or will the oil in the engine dump out because of how low it is in the engine bay? I might have to let the engine sit for a while so the oil can set in the oil pan?

Let me know, I'm going to try and take pictures this is retarded.

I'm used to BMW's with the oil filter housing face up in the engine compartment almost like its was sitting in a bowl... You unscrew the cap and pull out a filter element w/ out even bending your back... You can replace as many filters as you want in the 7500 mile oil change interval... (to think BMW recomends 15k oil change intervals!!!) - not only that but the autozone guy tried telling me Fram is a great filter!!!!! And that the Jeep has its filter in one of the best locations he's ever seen.... yea, because cardboard filters hold pressure great & dumping oil all over your engine is so awesome lmao... friggin people.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Dude,
Just take a photo with what you've got going on right now. Tell us what size filter is in it and we'll give advice from there. You will lose oil when you pull the filter and I'd imagine it could get pretty messy when you're trying to spin it off the threads. Are you sure you didn't cross thread the OEM size filter? When you were experimenting with different filters how did you know you were getting one with the right thread pitch and size? You said this problem started with the previous owner...does anything look out of place in the engine bay or were the threads possibly damaged before you got the Jeep?

Although this is frustrating now, getting it figured out will pay off in the long run since we change the oil every 3k or so.

Good luck,
s
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

The whole oil filter mount is movable. which way is yours pointed now?...Tj
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998

The threads on the filter nipple may be messed up........they were on our XJ. Bought a new filter nipple at the dealer ($6 IIRC) and replaced the old nipple with the new one (1" deep socket to remove/install).
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
The whole oil filter mount is movable. which way is yours pointed now?...Tj
Mine is pointed more towards the block. How do we move the filter mount!? This probably my problem... its only off by 1-2mm max!!!!!