Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

any DIY for stock rocker panel replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97 Grand cherokee Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default any DIY for stock rocker panel replacement ?

After searching here and other forums I was not able to find a DIY for stock rocker panel replacement.

Anyone aware where I could find that info?

My rocker panels are almost completely rusted through. I just bought some stock replacement for 40$ each. I have a friend with a mig welder. But I am not to sure how to approach the job. If anyone could give me some info that would be great, thanks !
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM

Year: 97 Grand cherokee Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

bump ... anyone ?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

don't layer the new replacement panel ontop of the old one. your door will rub/stick when you close it.

remove what you're gonna replace. so trace along the old panel with the new one and remove what you are gonna replace.

grind off any paint, you don't want to weld through paint and cut away all rust.

you can just cut out the rusty area and cut the new panel to the size you need and just tack in the new piece. don't try to lay a bead. tack opposite corners and tap the hot weld with a hammer to sink the tack, and keep a pail of water and wet a rag to cool off the tacks as you go along, so you don't warp the panel.

take your time, don't worry about booger tacks, that's what a flap disc is for. you can grind off the chunky welds to smooth things out.

you cant weld to rust, you'll just blow through and make a mess.

use low heat and medium speed on the mig and you should be fine. depending on the amp draw, you may need to adjust the welder to get a good tack.
you don't need gas, but a bottle will help. just be sure to switch the leads inside the welder when switching from flux to mig.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999
Engine: 4.0

Make sure you leave the door on or put it back on to check for fit after you tack the rocker on. When you shut the door you don't want to see a crooked gap from the door to the rocker.
You could buy one of those 40 gallon pressurized sdandblaster to remove the rust if you have the compressor to push it. Otherwise just look in your local phone book and take the Jeep to someone who can blast the rust away. Much easier to weld on! You'll just need to use cardboard and whatever else you can find to keep the majority of the sand out...
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Great advice on the install. I would probably have welded too long without cooling it off if I hadn't read this thread.

I'm about in the middle of removing my old rusted out rocker and I'm looking for advice on how to best separate the pinch seams. Would a small die grinder be a good way to remove the old tack welds?