Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Antifreeze leak..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Antifreeze leak..

So i searched and I'm pretty sure this isn't an engine overheating issue. I recently bought a 94 XJ and i've only driven it around about 3 times as it's a build in progress..Tonight driving to my GF's house, I had to make a quick exit off a busy street into her neighbor hood so I had the RPM somewhere in the 3000 range...which i haven't taken it that high yet. I parked the truck and got out and looked back at the jeep and noticed antifreeze leaking down onto the street. It was a bright green i'd say and so I opened the hood and looked for where the leak was coming from and it seem's to have spilled out from the rad cap.

Two hours later as we left i drove it home and parked it and I was checking the engine temp the whole time that I was driving it and it was fine. The oil temp guage on the other hand was pretty high ,when I pressed on the accelerator it kind of stayed high, and when I let go, it would kind of go back down. When i got out to check again, there was no leaking of anti freeze. So i'm not sure if this is just a one time thing or if there is anything I can do. I know i need to change the oil but should i check the radiator?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Sounds as if you may have had some air in your cooling system and it just "burped" inself on the trip to your GF's house...or you could have had some excess coolant in the system that was exspelled. I'd drive it and see if it's a reaccurring issue or a one time problem IMO.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

When it's cold, take off the rad cap and see if the gasket underneath the cap is okay, if the overflow tube is hooked to the rad, or if there is crap on top of the rad filler neck. If the cap looks questionable replace it. If you have doubts, take it in and have the cooling system pressure tested. JMO
And Welcome to CF.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks gents, will try your suggestions, keep em coming!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

i would get it pressure tested, they can test the cap too, but that gauge is an oil pressure gauge not and oil temp gauge and its normal for it to raise when your on the gas... when its cold out mine even goes all the way up to 80
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 97XJtech
i would get it pressure tested, they can test the cap too, but that gauge is an oil pressure gauge not and oil temp gauge and its normal for it to raise when your on the gas... when its cold out mine even goes all the way up to 80
Well thats a releif to hear..thank you sir..

An update, so I looked in the engine bay today and noticed that the coolant was pretty low..it was below the ADD mark. Filled it up.

After starting her up..i noticed the electric fan was not spinning. Not sure if it's supposed to spin when idle or when your driving or what? Maybe it's because of the electric fan not cooling the rad...just a guess but could that be a possible reason for the rad to spew ?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 AM

Started it her up this morning and after a couple minutes of running, she started spilling coolant out from under the cap...so should my next step be to take it and get it pressure tested at the garage?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

check that its on tight if it is then
get a new cap
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

i think you can rent a pressure tester for free at your local autozone.. id do that... you can just go ahead and buy a cap.. there no more than $20... but there isnt any white milky residue around the cap or neck of the radiator is there?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 PM

No, there is no sign of milky residue anywhere around there. I am starting to beleive now though that it might be my thermostat...but I ordered a rad cap anyway and a new oil filter...10 bucks for the combo!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM

I have had the same problem. I just had it checked yesterday and got home and it leaked and blew the new rad cap off. I sanded down the inside of the rad opening where there was a small bump. It is not leaking any more. I will change out the rad and water pump in the near future. I have had the Jeep three weeks and I had the u-joints in the front replaced, the rear brakes and cylinders since the pass side was missing pads. I have changed out all of the hoses and the heater valve. I changed out the thermo too. I would suggest changing the thermostat. I did not use any adhesive on the gasket and it worked fine. Good luck. I have spent about half of what I bought the Jeep for now. Be careful not to break the new valve if you do it yourself. The upper hose to the heater core is a real you know what to get on with a new hose. I had to custom fit mine. I had looked at the original valve and it snapped due to being so old and brittle. A lot of original parts on my 1992 xj. Still a good runner....
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 PM

That sounds exactly like what I have to do! I have new rear break shoes to go in..I need to replace the front u-joint and now this..wow! Thanks for the info, much appreciated!