Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

After injector and FPR swap jeep runs rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.
Default After injector and FPR swap jeep runs rich

Like title says, 1993 h.o. jeep is running rich after I put the ford 19 lb/hr injectors and the correct fpr. I only notice it at part throttle as I am almost never at WOT. So I am taking jeep to the dyno to do some part throttle runs, and wondering what is best for correcting this. I am just wondering what would be better, a home made map adjuster or a adjustable fpr. I read somewhere that a map adjuster only works from 80% to full throttle, but can't remember where I read that, and after talking to some people that seems inaccurate, but you would know better than me. I do most of my driving when accelerating from maybe 10% to 35% of full throttle, occasionally 50%, and about .001% of the time full throttle, so I am most concerned with part throttle trying to lean it out a bit, and it seems to be running way to rich, like I am loosing power. Any suggestions? Alos just to let you know I am running mopar fpr # 5277829 which seems to be the replacement for 4418850.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Dsandine
Like title says, 1993 h.o. jeep is running rich after I put the ford 19 lb/hr injectors and the correct fpr. I only notice it at part throttle as I am almost never at WOT. So I am taking jeep to the dyno to do some part throttle runs, and wondering what is best for correcting this. I am just wondering what would be better, a home made map adjuster or a adjustable fpr. I read somewhere that a map adjuster only works from 80% to full throttle, but can't remember where I read that, and after talking to some people that seems inaccurate, but you would know better than me. I do most of my driving when accelerating from maybe 10% to 35% of full throttle, occasionally 50%, and about .001% of the time full throttle, so I am most concerned with part throttle trying to lean it out a bit, and it seems to be running way to rich, like I am loosing power. Any suggestions? Alos just to let you know I am running mopar fpr # 5277829 which seems to be the replacement for 4418850.
Try resetting the CPU (take off battery for 5-10 mins) and see if that works. I had to do that after I put the bored TB on my 94 and it runs great...Tj
Old 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defiantly clear the memory and take it for a few drives and give the computer a chance to relearn the new injectors.

• Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground for 30 seconds. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.
    Reconnect the Battery Cable
    Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine
    Turn Headlight “On”
    Turn Headlights “Off”
    Turn Ignition Key “Off”
When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory. When you get the engine up to operating temperature, the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”. The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

Adjustable map hopfully will not need it once computer relearns.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoMAPsensor.htm

Suggest you give the computer a chance to learn before going to a Dyno.
Good luck with it
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

thanks for the info, I am going to dyno to test out some new parts anyways, do you know if a map adjuster works through the entire range of the gas pedal, like changing map voltage is going to affect it if I only have the pedal 25% down.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dsandine
thanks for the info, I am going to dyno to test out some new parts anyways, do you know if a map adjuster works through the entire range of the gas pedal, like changing map voltage is going to affect it if I only have the pedal 25% down.
I have not experimented with it myself, I can only go by what others have posted.
I have found the info supplied on go jeep to be very good and am yet to see any of his assertions be disproved.
When I put in neon injectors it ran heaps rich for a while then sorted itself out.
Good luck with it.