Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Advice: New doors needed for 89 XJ Limited Two Door

Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I-6, 4l
Default Advice: New doors needed for 89 XJ Limited Two Door

I did some searching on this but couldn't find anything that covered my situation. Hoping someone can offer some advice.

Both the Driver and Passenger doors on my 89 XJ limited Two door, are completely rusted through at the bottoms and need to be replaced. Ideally, I'd just swap in replacement doors, similarly equipped, and in the same colour from another 89 but not much chance of that happening (I have spotted a few but by the time I get there, they're already gone). I now have a line on a rust free set of door from a 95 Two door and wonder if a swap is feasible. The 95 doors are completely manual while my 89 are 'loaded' - power windows, power locks and power mirrors. From the reading I've done, it's feasible to swap the 89 guts (power windows and locks) into the 95 doors and they should bolt right on.

Not sure however if the 89 power mirrors can be swapped onto the 95 doors and if the inside door covers can be swapped as well (so that the speakers and switches, etc will transplant over).

One more complication: I'd like to preserve the vent windows from the old doors - the updated doors have fixed glass. This one isn't a deal breaker as the vent's are kind of a pain anyway but if doable, I'd like to keep them. Can the 89 vent windows be transplanted into the 95 Doors?

Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

(Also posted on NAXJA)
Old 08-28-2015, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

All should swap over your just using the door sheet metal. I have 94 regulators in mine.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bucko
I I now have a line on a rust free set of door from a 95 Two door and wonder if a swap is feasible. The 95 doors are completely manual while my 89 are 'loaded' - power windows, power locks and power mirrors. From the reading I've done, it's feasible to swap the 89 guts (power windows and locks) into the 95 doors and they should bolt right on.
Not sure however if the 89 power mirrors can be swapped onto the 95 doors and if the inside door covers can be swapped as well (so that the speakers and switches, etc will transplant over).
- I'd like to preserve the vent windows from the old doors - the updated doors have fixed glass. - Can the 89 vent windows be transplanted into the 95 Doors?
Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice.
(Also posted on NAXJA)
Originally Posted by freegdr
All should swap over your just using the door sheet metal. I have 94 regulators in mine.
U should B fine. -> Only prob should be putting those things into a 97+ door - (No room for electronics/ latch lever, because - moved to Door Panels.AFAIK - 95 door metal is same shape - unlike the '97+You'll have to pull the vinyl [rubber] out of tracks - watch for Al rivets - there's at least 1 in the black vertical track, id expect some around vent {wing} window

Last edited by RacerX; 11-05-2018 at 03:52 AM.