Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ suddenly stopped having power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 XJ suddenly stopped having power?

Hopefully this is the right section. Did a little bit of research but haven't come up with much. I have a 99 XJ sport, been dailying it back and forth from work everyday. Only problem ive had out of it engine wise is that it misfired at idle a bit. However it cranked every time and runs fine despite that. Until now. parked it at my apartment one night, ran fine until i parked it, and the next morning i went to drive to work, and...nothing. turned the key and nothing would happen. if i held the key to the START position the light on the dash that signals the E-brake comes on (even though the lever was not pulled). aside from that, there is nothing else that comes on. will not crank, and no other lights come on, including headlights/interior light, basically seems like the jeep has no electrical power at all aside from that light which only comes on occasionally, last few times i tried it it did nothing. battery checked out to be fine, and i cleaned up the ground from the engine to the firewall.
what should i check next?

Last edited by Bugeye555; 01-20-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Simple stuff first.

Did you clean battery terminals, check ALL fuses, and try to get a jump from another vehicle?

Are you sure you have a good ground to the frame? Check with a multimeter on ohms setting, should read zero ohms.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Do the headlights turn on? If they do and you turn the key to "start" do the headlights stay on or go out?