Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

View Dlasure2's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default 99 cherokee overheating problem solved now low compression

OK after doing some investigation work I found why my jeep was overheating I took off the water pump and there were no blades left on the pump and it was packed full of rusty sludge. My new problem is when I was doing my investigation "looking for a blown gasket" I found that my #1 cylinder only has 50 lbs of pressure so I put oil in the cylinder and the PSI went right up to 140. cylinders 2-6 were all in the 130 to 140 range which I think is OK. my question is should I only address this one cylinder or should I overhaul the entire engine. before it overheated it seemed to run ok but when it overheated the engine was making quite the racket. I let the engine cool off and it started and sounded fine.
Dlasure2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Honorary Moderator

View 96_xj's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

I would still take the head off, make sure it is not warped, if so have it planed down level again and replace the head gasket.

It will be a good days work and here it is $100 have a head planed level again.

SITE RULES
Project Black Sky
1996 2-door
4.0 - AX-15 - NP231 - 35x12.5" Baja Claws - lots of engine add ons - and lots of goodies (but not enough...)
Homemade Roof Rack
custom 3/8" front bumper

hard work and respect get you nowhere in todays life... what a shame maybe someday society will become less selfish

selfless over selfish
96_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View truckntractorhick's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to truckntractorhick

hmm..... hopefully it just blow the head gasket..... but if the head is warped then
1998 Sport R.I.P. stupid old man who cant drive... (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/98-...drainer-34916/)
1986 Wagoneer, my trail rig (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/86-chop-topper-86442/)
truckntractorhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

View 4jeepers's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlasure2 View Post
OK after doing some investigation work I found why my jeep was overheating I took off the water pump and there were no blades left on the pump and it was packed full of rusty sludge. My new problem is when I was doing my investigation "looking for a blown gasket" I found that my #1 cylinder only has 50 lbs of pressure so I put oil in the cylinder and the PSI went right up to 140. cylinders 2-6 were all in the 130 to 140 range which I think is OK. my question is should I only address this one cylinder or should I overhaul the entire engine. before it overheated it seemed to run ok but when it overheated the engine was making quite the racket. I let the engine cool off and it started and sounded fine.
Tough to answer this as if the compression in the no. 1 cylinder goes up after adding a little motor oil usually means that the rings are worn. If you re-due the head it should not help the compression issue. If you decide to re-ring the cylinder you should go ahead and do the other 5 also. I do not know what to tell you! Good Luck!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Honorary Moderator

View 96_xj's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

actually!!!!! just remembered !!!!! do a leak test see what is leaking on number 1 cylinder to give you that little compression, open your rad cap to look for bubbles while you do it and also listen in the exhaust pipe to see if an exhaust valve is blown giving you low compression

SITE RULES
Project Black Sky
1996 2-door
4.0 - AX-15 - NP231 - 35x12.5" Baja Claws - lots of engine add ons - and lots of goodies (but not enough...)
Homemade Roof Rack
custom 3/8" front bumper

hard work and respect get you nowhere in todays life... what a shame maybe someday society will become less selfish

selfless over selfish
96_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech