Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee won't shift into overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 Cherokee won't shift into overdrive

let me explain my vehicle first so we know what we are asking about. It is a 1998 Cherokee SE with 4.0 engine aw4 trans. and this is a right hand drive jeep. so last month the thing would shift into overdrive and run fine then i would notice sometimes it wouldn't shift into OD or it would shift from 3 into OD and go back and forth a couple times before it made up its mind. so I checked the trans. fluid and it was low and had been overheated(I had just changed fluid maybe 2,000 miles before problems began.) So I went to autozone bought new fluid and drained what was in it. when I got under the jeep I noticed my trans. pressure line going to the cooler had been pinched flat so i know why my fluid smelled burnt and had been overheating. i fixed that drained trans. fluid had it flushed and refilled fluid. Now I have completely lost OD. it won't attempt to shift into it. I have replace the TPS adjusted the TV cable. I took off the NSS and cleaned it inside and out. I now assume it could be my Trans. Control Module or trans. solenoid. I have been told I can test solenoids without having to drop trans. pan by unplugging TCM and testing connector. I have never used a mulitimeter and only assume I set it to ohms and use positive lead. Do I use the negative lead? Also if solenoids check out ok can I test the TCM? and honestly I have seen the price Autozone and others are asking for the TCM would you recommend getting one from a salvage yard out of a another cherokee? Thanks Nathan

Last edited by Hagar44; 01-17-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

does it have a detent cable if so you should try to adjust it cant hurt trying
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM

umm what is the detent cable and where is it located and i could tell you lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

on throttle body controlls trans pressure
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

with vechicle not running depress button on cable have some one push gas pedal to floor cable will self adjust then release button on cable then release gas pedal worth a try
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM

oh yeah yes I did adjust it i was told it was called a TV cable. so i just started calling it that. I found a diagram that shows which contacts to test on the TCM but it only showed where to put positive lead of multiemeter. It doesn't show where to put negative lead so I assume I will just find a ground to touch it to under the dash somewhere. Also if solenoids check out can I go under the assumption that it is the TCM. I did have vehicle at autozone and codes were pulled p0751 p0700. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

sent you a pm
Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM

ok so i got under the drivers dash and tested my solenoid using an old old cheap ohm meter and what i did was tested c14, c15, c16 all got about 10 ohms. but i grounded to the drivers seat bolt so i don't know if i did it right but i am going to get a new meter and try again
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM

SO I hope I am not starting to get annoying with my questions but here is how its going. I was going to test the Solenoids by unplugging the TCM and using a mulitimeter to check ohms. but the only diagram I could find was for a 89 AW4 such as the one in the first attachment. But when I unplugged my TCM my plug looks like the plug in Attachment 2. What I would like to know is what wires test what. I would like to test all three trans. solenoids and test the TPS from there. I found a site that showed how to test it but again it had a four wire TPS and mine is a 3 wire. please help
Attached Thumbnails 98 Cherokee won't shift into overdrive-89-aw4.jpg   98 Cherokee won't shift into overdrive-98-tcu.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freegdr
does it have a detent cable if so you should try to adjust it cant hurt trying
He already did thats what the TV cable is......
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hagar44
ok so i got under the drivers dash and tested my solenoid using an old old cheap ohm meter and what i did was tested c14, c15, c16 all got about 10 ohms. but i grounded to the drivers seat bolt so i don't know if i did it right but i am going to get a new meter and try again
http://www.transonline.com/transdige...ers/index.html

Here is what you need..i used this to find out why my Converter was not locking up on the Highway....Turns out i had a Solenoid Shorting out when getting hot. Common for them....

if you need new ones..

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...e=A340solenoid
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM

ok that site you posted makes the diagram I have look more simple. But the thing that still concerns me is that the posted website shows the tcu connector being a connector with two rows of 16 pins. My connector on my jeep has 2 rows of 13 pins. I will assume that the same color wires are used on both since the are AW4 trans. I will try that anyways by using wire colors from website to ones in my jeep and see where that gets me.. I have tried another TCU from the Junkyard. I know an owner of one and can pretty much get free stuff so I thought it was worth a try. I am too the point that I believe it is a solenoid. Thanks everyone for the help and ideas I do appreciate them, Nathan
Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

It may be a Solenoid...I'll hope for you.

But if you had a Pinched Cooler line and Burnt Fluid....your trans may be cooked.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 PM

yeah I am wishing it was simple as a solenoid but I am going to start assuming it is the trans being cooked. I don't want to believe it cause its money to fix but I am getting there lol. I have no idea how long i did drive it with the pinched trans line so how ever long it took for fluid to burn up and start causing shifting problems and thats how i caught it. Just didn't catch it soon enough. I still have everything just no overdrive. So I think what I am gonna do is instead of spending the money on a trans rebuild I will use the money on a down payment to a newer Right Hand Drive Wrangler. and just leave the cherokee as is and use for my back up vehicle.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

I was going through this and found that my '98 has the dual 13 pin connector as well. Anyone have access to the diagrams for the newer connectors?

Quick Reply: 98 Cherokee won't shift into overdrive