Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 xj Thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 xj Thermostat housing

I'm in the process of replacing thermostat and coolant sensor followed by water pump in the next day or so. I live where it's 100 degrees all the time so I am being proactive as I just bought the jeep.

In taking off the thermostat housing tonight, I found the housing to be very Rusty inside, much more than I would have imagined. I've taken it off and and going to scrub it down. With that said, I imagine the rest of the system is pretty nasty. The coolant is still green with a slight brown tint although I believe its relatively new. What is the best course of action for the coolant system based on my findings tonight? I am new at this so keep that in mind.\

THanks,
Old 01-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by freeworld71
I'm in the process of replacing thermostat and coolant sensor followed by water pump in the next day or so. I live where it's 100 degrees all the time so I am being proactive as I just bought the jeep.

In taking off the thermostat housing tonight, I found the housing to be very Rusty inside, much more than I would have imagined. I've taken it off and and going to scrub it down. With that said, I imagine the rest of the system is pretty nasty. The coolant is still green with a slight brown tint although I believe its relatively new. What is the best course of action for the coolant system based on my findings tonight? I am new at this so keep that in mind.\

THanks,
I would flush the whole system..Just so I knew all was clean and fresh.. Here are some links on how to flush the system if you dont already know..

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/xj-...-flush-215643/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hel...t-flush-68738/
Old 01-02-2017, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

If you feel the rust in the thermostat housing is too much you can buy a new one at Napa. Part # NOE 6052536. I am just assuming you have a 4.0 in the '97.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p...536_0234223134
Old 01-02-2017, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 204 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 98 stroked 4.7

I thought the stat housing was aluminum..if so it should clean up easy enough with some scotchbrite
Old 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bluejeep2001
I thought the stat housing was aluminum..if so it should clean up easy enough with some scotchbrite

Yep, it is. I just had mine off of my 97.

Freeworld, the coolant is probably nice and green because the PO drained out the old rusty junk that was in it and replaced it with fresh so that you wouldn't know that the cooling system is in bad shape.

I second the motion to do a complete flush!

Please consider replacing your water pump while you're at it. This is why.