Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 lifted 2 door needs help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 lifted 2 door needs help

well ive had blazers before and wanted to fit on the smaller trails and bring passengers with i looked off and on for 6 months and all the jeeps where nasty in side had wooble or wasn't street legal found 1 real nice one with everything i could want but ran hot
first a want to ask about the ac, at first i couldnt get the clutch fan to come on till i set it to recuirc and full fan and it will blow real cold for about 45 min then stops ,then wont work again till overnight ,sometimes still wont work, i tried jumping the wire to the container on the low side and it turns the radiator fan on and off but no clutch fan, the vacum item next to it, gives a strong tapping vibration and it very hot when the ac stops working

Old 08-30-2014, 01:08 AM

now i had thought i could just shampoo everything, but i found some wet sticky spots, looked under the carpet to find mold and rust and strange gunk in every crevice, the rust is bad all from soda, so this made me notice dang the floor is hot you cant touch it and count to 10 with out it burning you , i went underneath and the transfer case is even hotter.
does xjs come with a trans cooler stock? i seen a aftermarket one?
it has fluid lines,is it hottness normal

there is some clunking and clanking noise under the passenger side even when going slow on gravel,Also the ride is really rough, at around 30 mph over manhole covers and small bumps its like slams hard on freeway its better, my local 4wheel parts shop couldnt find anything loose or locate the noise, he thought it has a hack n tap and aftermarket rear d line, and 8.25 rear

Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm sorry but you make very hard reading without any breaks or sentences.

I'm not an AC guy so will leave that for someone else.

The rust on floorboard just wire brush it and use an undercoating on it to keep it from any further rust.

The heat issue is your transfer case full of lube? Are you sure that is not from the exhaust that causing it? You do have a Hack & Tap SYE and that might be causing the heat problem with the TC, if it wasn't done correctly.

BTW that is a very nice looking XJ, just a few minor problems to work out.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:47 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I'm sorry but you make very hard reading without any breaks or sentences.

I'm not an AC guy so will leave that for someone else.

The rust on floorboard just wire brush it and use an undercoating on it to keep it from any further rust.

The heat issue is your transfer case full of lube? Are you sure that is not from the exhaust that causing it? You do have a Hack & Tap SYE and that might be causing the heat problem with the TC, if it wasn't done correctly.

BTW that is a very nice looking XJ, just a few minor problems to work out.

Agreed.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 PM

I changed all fluids to new! I could get a temp gun, or somebody put your thumb on you transfer case after driving and tell me if its hot?
I was hopping it was a 4.5 lift, now im not sure, im putting new RC shocks for 4.5 lift on it. ran into problems because it has jks upper shock mounts.
The rear has a add a leaf, 2 inch block and shackle, I want to get rear leafsprings and remove the block. would like the same lift or more, was wondering about the Rc 6.5 lift sense i dont see any 5-6 inch lifts... Theres no trans drop. there is tera flex arms and also a heimed track bar. will take pics and get any measurements!

Old 08-31-2014, 04:45 PM

i tried disconnecting the sway bar arms, and got stuck going down a hill . the 33 inch tire hit the arb bumper. But also touched the inside of the front fender when turned inside

trail wasnt even very of camber
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Sorry but can't help with the a/c problem. The bumper rub issue almost looks like the bumper sticks back farther than it should. Is the rear of the bumper even with the fender? Sounds like you should extend the bump stops to keep the tires from rubbing. XJ's do run hot, just ensure your fluids are topped up. I've put an extra sheet of insulation on the drivers side of the center hump, that helped allot.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

The clutch fan runs right off of the engine. It will be moving as long as the engine is running. Only the electric fan will come on with A/C. If you are low on refrigerant, it will switch on and off rapidly and eventually not at all. If your clutch fan isn't spinning, you really have a problem, LOL
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 PM

no the clutch fan only engages when the ac is on and needs extra cooling, it goes off and on by temp and humidity, freon is good and it hasnt came back on or worked lately. im looking to get a grinder or something to cut the bumper. but i wish i could find someone with the same bumper first because its a expensive one. i also got a 3/4 d ring and it fits the mount of the arb bumper but wont rotate it binds, guess it needs 1/2 inch
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 PM

i will have to ask the 4 wheel store about the bump stops, i didnt look to see how far ou8t it was when flexed,
but i watched the rough country budget build where they use a 4.5 lift and everything else stock and was able to unhook the sway bar
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by riderjay253
no the clutch fan only engages when the ac is on and needs extra cooling, it goes off and on by temp and humidity, freon is good and it hasnt came back on or worked lately. im looking to get a grinder or something to cut the bumper. but i wish i could find someone with the same bumper first because its a expensive one. i also got a 3/4 d ring and it fits the mount of the arb bumper but wont rotate it binds, guess it needs 1/2 inch

Geez, totally wrong info kinda grinds my gears.

The clutch fan engages more, the higher the temp. Has nothing to do with humidity or AC running.

The electric fan comes on with AC and defrost along with when it's triggered by an engine temp sensor.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:12 AM

im talking about the ac clutch fan, you should of known , because its a ac problem not a engine over heating. there is a green fuse under the hood that say's ac clutch fan and thats what i asked about, sry you got confused cruiser!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM

The humidity thing kinda threw me for a loop...............
Old 09-02-2014, 04:44 AM

I don't know why ARB made the bumper stick out so close to the tire??? Even on there web sight it looks like they go to far back. Your idea of cutting the bumper seams to be the answer. The tire rub on the inside happens with mine too. You can check the back spacing of your wheels, should be 3.75 for max clearance. I understand what your saying about the a/c fan, if the relay is labeled that way it is misleading. The engine driven fan (fan belt driven) does have a friction clutch, the a/c electric fan is just an electric motor with fan blades attached (no clutch). Very misleading. Good luck cutting the bumper, I hope it's not made of very thick metal. Here's a pic showing where my bumper ends.
Attached Thumbnails 97 lifted 2 door needs help-0224131418.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 AM

Forgot about the d-ring. The bumper is probably made for a 3/4 d-ring. Take some sand paper to the paint in the hole and on the d-ring pin, that should make it fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: 97 lifted 2 door needs help