Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

View Kotobuki's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default 97 Cherokee Sport Engine Compatibility

Hey all, new to the forums, and sorry for a question on my first post.

A friend gave my wife and I a 97 Cherokee Sport (4x2) with the 4.0 I6. She took it up to Michigan (I'm still here in TX) a couple weeks ago, and yesterday the engine crapped out.

I'm pretty well convinced that the motor's shot and is going to need to be replaced. I'm a bit more in tune with Ford/Chevy V-8s... If it had a 302/350 in it, you can pretty much replace it with whatever 302/350 you find. This doesn't seem to be the case as much when it comes to Jeeps and the 4.0.

Basically, what it boils down to, is what can I pull a donor motor out of? What model, what year, etc. I've seen some motors on Ebay of the right year, but they're out of Wranglers, and the compatibility charts only list Wranglers. Same goes for Grand Cherokees.

Assuming that the top end and accessories have survived, and I'm willing to swap them to a different short block, am I particularly limited in what the bottom end of the motor comes out of?

Also, does anyone know where to get a reasonably priced short block that will fit in the Metro Detroit area? The car's in (other wise) pretty decent shape, but I'd prefer not to spend almost 2k on the motor itself.

Also, since I'm not a 'Jeep Person' I don't know what specifically TJ, XJ, and what not refer to. A crash course on that would be good, since I'm sure those will get thrown around in the answers.

Thanks for your time and any information you're willing to share.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 02-11-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Kotobuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

View xj4banger's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee

mostly an jeep 4.0 will work its just swapping around parts and sensors to make everything work in your jeep. i took a 94 cherokee motor and put it into my 99 wrangler years ago, had to basically strip it down to the head and put all my stuff from the junk tj motor onto the xj motor to put into the wrangler and have evrything work. you best and easiest solution is to find a perfect plug right in swap!
xj4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

View Kotobuki's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

So, if I'm willing to switch all the accessories over, any 96-98 4.0 will work?

Last edited by Kotobuki; 02-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Kotobuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

View xj4banger's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee

any 4.0, but the closer you get to your year the less you will probably have to change
xj4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech