Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)

Anyone have the pinout/wire color of the harness going to the header panel? I've had some odd issues recently (no running lights), then right turn signal started working sometimes and others not, then today, when I turn on signals, my lights flash high to low like I'm a cop. Pulled the airbox only to find that 5 of the 7 wires were out of the plug. Need to wire them back in, and/or bypass the plug all together, so need the wiring color/pairings/pinout.

Someone help... I have no headlights currently.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM

I need C106 pinout/wire colors/positions, please.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM

The more I moved the (headlight harness side) plug for C106, the more wires broke off. Not having a molex removal tool and not wanting to entirely fudge up the equation, I cut off the (again, headlight harness side) C106 plug, and added female bullet connector plugs to the ends of each wire, and hard plugged them into the opposite side C106 plug. A ton of tape, zip ties, and good luck, and I'm back online for the time being,. I will be swapping my header panel anyway, as I have cracked bolt holes and broken screws/bolts that hold the marker and bezels on, so I will also snag a headlight harness at that time to make everything clean and correct again.

I could have chose to just bypass the C106 harness plug entirely, and tap the (end side) wires before the C106 plug, but felt that was an irreversible modification and if the front header would ever have to be swapped out (or the harness), that this would cause issues).

For anyone that runs into this issue. The two tan wires get connected together, and the two green wires get connected together, then all wires get connected to the matching colored wire on the opposite side terminal position of C106.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 PM

I have this same exact problem on my 96 XJ (Cherokee Classic). Lost the headlights and turn signals and high beam indicator went wonky on the instrument panel.

Had one broken wire when I looked at it troubleshooting the problem, as soon as I touched it bunches of wires started breaking out of their pins. Couldn't find a replacement connector to rebuild it properly, and its been 5 (FIVE) degrees out lately. Fun working evenings last week outside...

So I'm just adding some jumpers like for like back together, will revisit in the spring maybe tidy it up.

In the meantime, here's the question, I seem to have a couple color coded wires that go in one side of the connector but don't come out the other. Are these just dead end landed for something that wasn't included in the car for a particular year or feature? One is pink w/ green stripe, can't remember the other (as I sit here typing trying to warm up a bit).
Attached Thumbnails 96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)-lights-problem-continued-march-2-2014-3-.jpg   96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)-lights-problem-continued-march-2-2014-4-.jpg   96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)-lights-problem-continued-march-2-2014-5-.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM

Band-aid till spring, lights working again. Had three wires left over / unused on the chassis side, an extra orange, a brown w/ white stripe, and a pink w/ green stripe... (yes I buttoned it up back in the protective wiring harness tubes, wrapped it all good in electrical tape to hold it together until spring).
Attached Thumbnails 96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)-back-together-band-aid-march-2-2014.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Originally Posted by HandyRacing
Band-aid till spring, lights working again. Had three wires left over / unused on the chassis side, an extra orange, a brown w/ white stripe, and a pink w/ green stripe... (yes I buttoned it up back in the protective wiring harness tubes, wrapped it all good in electrical tape to hold it together until spring).
hey bud I'm in the same boat but as soon as I picked my harness up it all fell apart and now I dont know how it all goes together! and chance you could send me a picture of what is going where or type out what colors match up?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Wow... Adding this to my list of things to get eyes on this weekend!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by hoole
hey bud I'm in the same boat but as soon as I picked my harness up it all fell apart and now I don't know how it all goes together! and chance you could send me a picture of what is going where or type out what colors match up?
The photos above are all I have. I'm traveling for work the rest of this week and out of town on Saturday for a race, but I could open it up on Sunday and try to make a wiring diagram showing what colors from the chassis side I connected to the other (lights) side.

(side note, I haven't touched it since last winter but things seem to be working OK)

In the meantime I'll see if I can dig up a wiring diagram.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by HandyRacing
The photos above are all I have. I'm traveling for work the rest of this week and out of town on Saturday for a race, but I could open it up on Sunday and try to make a wiring diagram showing what colors from the chassis side I connected to the other (lights) side.

(side note, I haven't touched it since last winter but things seem to be working OK)

In the meantime I'll see if I can dig up a wiring diagram.
Darn. I pretty much got it I think. Everything works as it should but the turn signals are a little on the dim side. The two R/OR wires on the inside stay separate? Or are they joined going to the light side R wire? I'll work on a write up of it today too.... I know this is going to happen to others and there is literally NO wiring diagram (the makes sense unless you're an electrical engineer) for this connector.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:35 AM

Seems like this needs to be stickied I rewired my lights thru trial and error process wanst sure I had it right seeing as how there were three extra wires and no wire diagrams for this clip my dealer can't even get the parts. not sure what they go to one extra power and a white w green and brown w white do they end or do the side markers green and tan go to white w green and brown w white
Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Did anyone ever do (or find) that colour coded diagram for this connector?

My headlights stopped working and upon touching the connector it literally fell apart.....
Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by President

My headlights stopped working and upon touching the connector it literally fell apart.....
Nope, since I started with the write up I posted under this same forum area my girlfriend became magically pregnant and I had to sell it. But basically, go get some 16ga wire, some heat shrink butt connectors (the ones you have to crimp) and some heat shrink wrap. There's two sides of the wire I'll talk about, the motor side and the light side. The light side is closest to the lights.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. we're working with powered wires and the smallest mistake can result in electrocution!
1) cut the corroded crap off
2) cut as many 6" lengths of 16ga wire as there are colors of wires on the light side.
3) put heat shrink wraps on lengths of wire you just made DO NOT fire them up yet.
4) pre attach butt connectors to your wires you just cut. Yay, we just made jumpers.
5) connect jumpers to all of the light side wires. If they're the same color wires braid them together (split both wires into two sections, twist each section together and then twist them all together) crimp them onto the butt connector when your done.
6) fire up the light side heat shrink after you've made sure you got everything
7) splice all of the motor side colors together just like the last side
8) connect them to the matching light side jumper. As you get them connected heat up the shrink tubing.
9) confirm all of them work by reconnecting the battery and testing them out. The functions were working with are: high beams, low beams, hazards, left and right turn signal.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by President

send me your email and I'll send you the lighting diagram
Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 AM

Top row - constant power in pink/green (only purple/white and beige is connected to light side of car

Buttom row - light switch gives power to pink/blue (one red/orange not connected to light side of car)

I tried to rebuild the connector as I think it was. 2 x 5 poles. Seems pink/green in the top corner (car side) is constant power. When pulling the light switch to turn on lights I get power in the pink/blue as well. No power in the rest of the connections. The headlight does not work, but high beam can be activated by holding the control arm pulled towards driver (does not turn on/turn off as supposed).
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 AM

Hi Guys,

I am still having problems with this. I am quite certain the wires in C106 are connected the right way.

Power is leaving the correct connector pin on the headlight switch, but there is no power in the purple/white wire that controls the headlight. So power is lost somewhere between headlight switch and C106 connector.

Having removed the lower dash and lowered the steering wheel I cannot find any dimmer switch (or ignition switch for that matter). All manuals and write ups says these are to be there - controlled manually by a metal rod from the multi function switch. Can it be true my 95 XJ does not have these switches?

If so, where can I look for the loss of power between headlight switch and C106 connector?

Best,
Kim

Last edited by President; 07-17-2015 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 XJ Headlight Harness (under Air Box)