Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 xj giving me a weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 xj giving me a weird issue

So recently I finally built my exhaust back together and noticing a few issues since its been on. For the last year I have been running a cat with no muffler so I added a muffler back in to quiet it up but now the inside passenger side floor gets very hot and is burning my carpet. The muffler does sit close to the floor about an inch or less of space but here is were I am confused. After the muffler has been on and the carpet only gets hot if I touch to freeway. It was filling the cab with smoke so I pull over and the motor wants to die. It stumbles and will die on me unless I give it some throttle and will continue that way till I let it cool down. The motor isn't overheating and my temp will stay at about 190-195ish. It will drive fine all day but only gives me issues like this after/during freeway driving. Now finally check engine light did come on once and only briefly just before I pulled over and by the time I made it to an off ramp it had turned off and I did the key trick and got 12555 so I saw that as 125 meaning (taking too long to reach proper operating temp and switch to energy efficient mode) and 55 end of codes. I have disconnected the battery recently after fixing a radio short and I only get 1255 codes now which is normal can this muffler be my issue or am I have two separate issues like fuel pump going out and just my bad muffler placement. They seem to happen always together but that could just be timeing.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump
Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds to me like you might have a restriction in the exhaust somewhere. Did this start when you added the muffler?