Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 XJ crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 XJ crank but no start

Hi folks, I've been having a hell of a time getting to the source of this issue.
My Jeep died on me, just shut down while driving and wouldn't restart. found a badly cracked 90 degree elbow on the fuel pressure regulator and wet with gas on the back side of the regulator. Got pulled home and after a while it started up fine and ran for a few minutes before the engine killed again, but wouldn't restart till it sat for about a half hour or so, and would only idle for about a minute and die. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and rubber elbow, but no change.

Got a friend with a pressure regulator over here and was able to test pressure on one of the occasions that it started. idle pressure was around 30, but right after it died pressure would drop off fast (within a minute). Eventually, it got to the point where it would crank, but not start even after sitting for hours.

I replaced the ignition coil, cause I've had issues with that a couple times and it's cheap. replaced the CPS a couple years ago with an $80 OEM CPS which turned out to be a coil problem, so I put the old CPS back in. New cap and rotor, still crank and no start, but now it was sounding like it just wasn't getting gas so I put the pedal to the floor and it finally started. I kept my foot lightly on the gas for a while and it kept running. let off the gas and it idled without stalling. let it run for about 10 minutes and everything was fine. Drove it to the store and back (about a 10 mile round trip) and no problem. shut it off and it started up right away.

I was thinking it might be the fuel pump. I can hear it run for a couple seconds when I turn the key, but the fast pressure drop suggested a bad check valve in the pump anyway. Drove it the next day to the auto parts store and used their pressure gauge. #30 at idle and quick drop off on shutdown. got a new fuel pump and drove home. checked codes and had 51. changed fuel pump after a hell of a time getting the old lock ring off. With the new pump installed I got crank, but no start. Pulled the hose off the input to the fuel pump and it was dry as a bone. I could hear the new pump running like it should with the key turned, but it wasn't pumping. I put the old pump in and it started fine.

This is currently my only vehicle and so while it was running I had to go get some thing done. It's been about a week now and I've driven it over 600 miles with no issue, and the 51 code is no longer there, but a couple days ago on my way to the gas station I discovered fuel spraying out the side of the fuel pressure regulator seal. Took it off when I got home and found that the O-ring was nearly sliced in half. I put the O-ring from the old regulator on, but now I'm back to the crank, but no start problem. It fired a couple times, but never got it running. Got a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and battery. This time the new pump is getting fuel to the filter at least, but still no start. I don't know where to look at this point.

Here's everything I replaced since this all started:
ignition coil
cap and rotor
spark plugs
battery
fuel pressure regulator
fuel filter
fuel pump
cleaned IAC and throttle body
switched CPS with older CPS

I'm done throwing money at it till I can narrow down a cause.
I ordered a spark tester, fuel pressure gauge, and compression tester which should be here tomorrow, but every day this things not running I'm losing money by not getting to my jobs.

Any Ideas where to look next?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2015, 01:26 AM

So what happened with your rig dude? I got a no start too on a 91 but I haven't changed anything yet because it all checks OK that o ring deal is alarming anyway. Just sayin.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Interesting that you should ask at this time.

After getting a second bad fuel pump from the same auto parts store I ordered one from amazon with the whole assembly. I got good fuel pressure and it held perfectly after shutdown. I'd been driving it for quite some time now till the other day when it died on me while driving again.

It wouldn't start up again. checked for spark and got none. put new CPS in and still nothing. Got it hauled home yesterday and went out this morning to test the ignition coil and it started right up.

Something is causing it to lose spark intermittently and I'm annoyed and perplexed.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

try checking the ceramic ballast resistor under the hood on the drivers side. i had a bad one and it gave me all kinds of intermittent start problems. you can try bypassing the resister to see if the resister is the problem. there are also a few relays you might want to check out, including the relay just outside the underhood fuse box.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 PM

have you checked the pcm? try wiggling the wires around where they connect to the pcm, see if it stalls/starts
Old 10-25-2015, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

anything new? has it been resolved?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by carverdave
Hi folks, I've been having a hell of a time getting to the source of this issue.
My Jeep died on me, just shut down while driving and wouldn't restart. found a badly cracked 90 degree elbow on the fuel pressure regulator and wet with gas on the back side of the regulator. Got pulled home and after a while it started up fine and ran for a few minutes before the engine killed again, but wouldn't restart till it sat for about a half hour or so, and would only idle for about a minute and die. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and rubber elbow, but no change.

Got a friend with a pressure regulator over here and was able to test pressure on one of the occasions that it started. idle pressure was around 30, but right after it died pressure would drop off fast (within a minute). Eventually, it got to the point where it would crank, but not start even after sitting for hours.

I replaced the ignition coil, cause I've had issues with that a couple times and it's cheap. replaced the CPS a couple years ago with an $80 OEM CPS which turned out to be a coil problem, so I put the old CPS back in. New cap and rotor, still crank and no start, but now it was sounding like it just wasn't getting gas so I put the pedal to the floor and it finally started. I kept my foot lightly on the gas for a while and it kept running. let off the gas and it idled without stalling. let it run for about 10 minutes and everything was fine. Drove it to the store and back (about a 10 mile round trip) and no problem. shut it off and it started up right away.

I was thinking it might be the fuel pump. I can hear it run for a couple seconds when I turn the key, but the fast pressure drop suggested a bad check valve in the pump anyway. Drove it the next day to the auto parts store and used their pressure gauge. #30 at idle and quick drop off on shutdown. got a new fuel pump and drove home. checked codes and had 51. changed fuel pump after a hell of a time getting the old lock ring off. With the new pump installed I got crank, but no start. Pulled the hose off the input to the fuel pump and it was dry as a bone. I could hear the new pump running like it should with the key turned, but it wasn't pumping. I put the old pump in and it started fine.

This is currently my only vehicle and so while it was running I had to go get some thing done. It's been about a week now and I've driven it over 600 miles with no issue, and the 51 code is no longer there, but a couple days ago on my way to the gas station I discovered fuel spraying out the side of the fuel pressure regulator seal. Took it off when I got home and found that the O-ring was nearly sliced in half. I put the O-ring from the old regulator on, but now I'm back to the crank, but no start problem. It fired a couple times, but never got it running. Got a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and battery. This time the new pump is getting fuel to the filter at least, but still no start. I don't know where to look at this point.

Here's everything I replaced since this all started:
ignition coil
cap and rotor
spark plugs
battery
fuel pressure regulator
fuel filter
fuel pump
cleaned IAC and throttle body
switched CPS with older CPS

I'm done throwing money at it till I can narrow down a cause.
I ordered a spark tester, fuel pressure gauge, and compression tester which should be here tomorrow, but every day this things not running I'm losing money by not getting to my jobs.

Any Ideas where to look next?
Thanks
it's your computer
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Fixed after a year of trying.

I realize this thread is old but the problem still occurs so I will post this and maybe it will help someone.
I have a 99 Cherokee with no spark from coil although I had power to coil. At the time I found the prob I had changed the distributor cap, plugs, wires, cam sensor, crank sensor, coil, and finally I changed the pcm/ecm. Still the engine would turn over but not fire. I changed the ignition switch. Still no fire. I hired a friend to go through and see what he could find and after 2 days of checking, he squeezed the wires behind the plug to the ignition switch with his hand while turning the key and it fired right up. Turned out to be a loose connection to one of the pins in the ignition switch plug. I really hope this will give someone a better chance of finding the problem if it happens to be similar to mine. Good luck to you all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Breedlove:
donald duck (03-17-2020), Keith92_ (04-05-2020)