Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 cherokee fuel pump? opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 cherokee fuel pump? opinions needed.

friend of mine has a 93 cherokee, from the times ive seen her start it, its got a pretty good lag until the engine actually starts (a good 4-5) seconds. It will turn over and then finally fire and run fine. Anyway last night she was going to leave from a church thing and she trys to start it and all it would do is turn over but not catch. I personally wasnt there to see it so i couldnt do my own diagnosis to it, some other guys cleaned the battery terminals (which the battery is brand new), cleaned the plug caps with coke and tops of spark plugs, and put oil in it (added 3 and 1/2 quarts, alot i know), and still nothing, im just curious because i know just from what ive seen from cherokees they almost all seem to have a lag in the starting time(anywhere from 93-04 models), and i thought maybe they were notorious for bad fuel pumps. it seems to happen on the ones with 100K+ miles, this one thats having the problem has 157K miles on it, she drove a 6 hour round trip this past weekend and it seemed to do fine so she says. just from what ive been told it sounds like a bad fuel pump to me, any opinions?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

If you think it is fuel pressure,check it at the rail and see if you have pressure.
I would also check into the oil level switch, I read that 93s had an oil level switch,but they were so much of a problem they did not use them anymore. 3-1/2 quarts low,she is lucky it would not start anymore.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
If you think it is fuel pressure,check it at the rail and see if you have pressure.
I would also check into the oil level switch, I read that 93s had an oil level switch,but they were so much of a problem they did not use them anymore. 3-1/2 quarts low,she is lucky it would not start anymore.
i know man haha, it burns and leaks oil but its whatever im surprised it didnt seize up, i friend of mine said it had a oil level switch but i didnt believe him, he's sorta full of BS sometimes but if you say so ill check it out, wheres the switch at on the car?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dennit469
i know man haha, it burns and leaks oil but its whatever im surprised it didnt seize up, i friend of mine said it had a oil level switch but i didnt believe him, he's sorta full of BS sometimes but if you say so ill check it out, wheres the switch at on the car?
i would have to look up its exact location,but it will be on the pan somwhere,i just happened to be reading something one day and seen it was a problem and that it was only used on 93 xjs and grand cherokees. It only takes a moment to see.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
i would have to look up its exact location,but it will be on the pan somwhere,i just happened to be reading something one day and seen it was a problem and that it was only used on 93 xjs and grand cherokees. It only takes a moment to see.
ok is it an actual switch or would the whole senser/switch or whatever it is be replaced
Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM

bump
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

The sensor will be screwed into the pan,check your owners manual and see if there is a procedure for reseting the switch.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

i would check the cps, crank shaft position sensor. that what happened to mind it was totally random also im at 172xxx miles, take an ohm meter and test it with that it should have a reistance of 0