Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 xj stereo wiring colors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 92 xj stereo wiring colors?

Well ive got an aftermarket deck thats been horribly wired by the previous owner. Im trying to figure it out but theres wires that arent even hooked up and the wiring diagram in the repair manual is both confusing and for a 97. Can anyone tell me what the different colored wires go to?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

from the cd player, the black is ground, yellow constant power and red switched power, white is left front speaker, gray is right front, green is left rear, purple is right rear (speakers wire with black or white line is the negative plain is positve), blue with line is remote lead for amp, orange is illumanation, solid blue is for a power antenna.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Member

That matches the harness. The asshat that installed the stereo before me chopped the stock harness and wired a new one on in a weird way. He tried to bridge the channels and it was dropping the amp down to 2 ohms and overloading it. I accidentally blew a fuse crossed the constant and the ground. *sighs* But anyways theres a crap ton of wires that are weird. A pink one. purple one ligjt blue light green ones with stripes. I dont even know where to begin! The blue wire for the antenna ont he harness is for making the antenna go up and down when its automated. Mine doesnt do that or the motor to make it do that is dead and or i dont give a crap. I just want to get this wired up right. Im not looking for the harness colors. Those are all labeled. Im loking for where to put the jeeps wires onto the harness.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

This is the colors for the 97 -01, dont know if its th same. Its from installdr.com go to page 5 of the pdf.
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/533001.pdf
Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Try the site www.12volt.com they have all wire charts, that shpold help you out
Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by captainwoot
Try the site www.12volt.com they have all wire charts, that shpold help you out
Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Well i winged it a bit. I got it all hooked up and working normal except i cant seem to get the balance between left and right working. at first i had a problem where there was all bass and no treble. It sounded like they were singing inside of a toilet. There was only a gray wire and white wire then the same with black stripes so i figured each was a set but then after the problem i switched the gray wire with the gray with the black stripe and it fixed things other htan the balance issue. Working enough to satisfy me. On to getting a muffler and amp and subs!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Sorry to bring up the old thread. I got it working way back when but its winter here and i wanted to use a cigarette lighter heater to defrost my windows because my heater core is missing altogether... Cigarette lighter did not work but the illumination around it did. Pulled dash apart and was gently tugging some wires to see if any were lose. Did not realize at the time that they were the same exact colors as the wires the stereo uses...i think. Anyways... Is there a spot where the wires meet that might have come undone? Are they on the same circuit? Im planning on going in there and redoing the stereo wiring again just to make sure nothing came undone. I half assed it last time since i just wanted something to listen too for the 40 mile drive to work. Now its just principal for me!! lol. Anyways any ideas or input would be appreciated. So sick of the wiring on this thing.