Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 jeep Cherokee OVERHEATING!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool 89 jeep Cherokee OVERHEATING!

Hey everyone I just bought an 89 jeep Cherokee and am slowly going through the jeep to get it up to par. It is running but overheating VERY quickly after start up. I have the closed cooling system still. I replaced the t stat, the water pump, the radiator and coolant reservoir and it's still overheating on me. I'm kind of at a loss of ideas right now, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Prizice
Hey everyone I just bought an 89 jeep Cherokee and am slowly going through the jeep to get it up to par. It is running but overheating VERY quickly after start up. I have the closed cooling system still. I replaced the t stat, the water pump, the radiator and coolant reservoir and it's still overheating on me. I'm kind of at a loss of ideas right now, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.
While you had the radiator out you should have converted to an open system. But I would change the fan clutch because it sounds like that could be it.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Check for air bubbles first. If that doesn't help I second the fan clutch. might be replacing it with a ZJ fan clutch later on today when I get my radiator rodded out. You can test your fan clutch by folding a magazine hot dog style and while your XJ is at 210, stick the folded magazine between the fan blades and if the magazine stops the fan, you need a new fan clutch. (Hayden #2737)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

With the engine cold, take the cap off the overflow bottle and start it, let it run a a minute or two and see if bubbles come up through the overflow bottle.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5200 cc

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
With the engine cold, take the cap off the overflow bottle and start it, let it run a a minute or two and see if bubbles come up through the overflow bottle.
you might make it easier if you park nose up on an incline when you burb the cooling system. And my rule of thumb on fan clutches is , less than two revolutions when cold ,clutch is good. engine off , spin by hand .
The following users liked this post:
jangier (10-10-2023)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Fan clutch been checked
Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gertie240
you might make it easier if you park nose up on an incline when you burb the cooling system. And my rule of thumb on fan clutches is , less than two revolutions when cold ,clutch is good. engine off , spin by hand .
I was suggesting checking for bubbles as a quick way to check for a head gasket leak, not for burping.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

I was suggesting checking for bubbles as a quick way to check for a head gasket leak, not for burping.

Yep. Time for a compression test.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Fan clutch been checked
So the fan clutch is good I just got done replacing all of the heater hoses and topping off the system now I have a leak in the brand new coolant RES. Once I put the new one in Tmro I will try the suggestion of Parking at an incline to burp the system. Thank you everyone for your help. I'm really hoping it's not a blown head gasket. If so what are your thoughts on that bars gasket fix? Bad idea or worth a try?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:34 PM

I do have bubbles coming in the coolant reservoir after it gets to 210.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Year: 1990

It's nose down for burping. Mine was doing the same thing. Burped it and that helped a lot. Now I went to an open system. Way better. Never heats up now. Super easy.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

I do have bubbles coming in the coolant reservoir after it gets to 210.
Get it pressure tested, good chance you have a head gasket leak. (it could be boiling, but that's why you pressure test it).
Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 PM

Ok I've heard both for burping head down and up? I'm pretty sure it's head down. Next step like you all have suggested is a pressure test. How do you all feel about bars head gasket fix?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Ok I've heard both for burping head down and up? I'm pretty sure it's head down. Next step like you all have suggested is a pressure test. How do you all feel about bars head gasket fix?
That "gasket fix" crap is a no no. Do not even think of using it. A head gasket is not all to difficult or expensive to do yourself. Just eliminate the thought of using bars.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Also, you burp a closed system with the back of your jeep higher than the front. This is so the air will travel up to the back of the head where you burp it and it can escape

Quick Reply: 89 jeep Cherokee OVERHEATING!