Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee radiator cooling conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default 89 cherokee radiator cooling conversion question

So i have had this old jeep for atleast 6 years passed on from fam dumped a bunch of money into it trying to get it to run good however i have had cooling issues here and there.

It had gotten hot quick on idle in the past once or twice never really drove it just ran it in the yard replacing parts here and there because i had a idle/stalling/ choking just like rough idle at times anyhow i found out hundreds later that the egr valve wasnt working right old and rusty.

so any how just before i fixed the idle problem my dad hooked up his trailer and tryed to tow his wheelers out to ride with it and it climbed up had to turn around.

So now you have plastic pressure bottles at 60-100$ a pop blowing open caps stripping ect we noticed the cooling fan wasnt coming on.

So we decide to change the thermo and flush the rad out strip another pressure cap with bottle and decide to put on a screw clamp to help keep it on somewhat so still getting hot no fan still so we go and check some connections bypass the fan and test relay before figuring out the fan turns on from the relay figured maybe its the cooling sensor for the fan of some sort.

So we have ended up using a toggle switch for the fan replaced that sensor in the side of the radiator and tryed it and nothing appeared to happen still.

So long story short I just got my license going again plan on driving it as long as i can like all winter i cant see myself trying to goto the beach or some place hot and having to worry about the temp climbing up and up in traffic becuase a fan dont come on or something blows off or burning up oil faster so i figure if i goto this open system my headache will go away.

Anyways I picked up a 92 cherokee cheapo rad off ebay said automotive cooling Sunbelt Radiators as the brand.

My question is what i ordered seems like almost a direct replacment open style.

Now i have been reading that you have to do all of these fancy mods to goto open.

one or 2 people claim they just get new hoses and maybe an adapter or 2 and a pressure bottle and thats pretty much it.

My question is as i have herd that the original cooling sensor wouldent work with a open system and is different in some way and located in a different spot ect.

However we noticed this radiator appears to have a spot for the cooling sensor anyone know if thats possiable or just an illusion. I have also herd of some kind of heating control issue just wondering what i need.

Last edited by 4wheeldrivenewbie; 08-05-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrivenewbie
So i have had this old jeep for atleast 6 years passed on from fam dumped a bunch of money into it trying to get it to run good however i have had cooling issues here and there.

It had gotten hot quick on idle in the past once or twice never really drove it just ran it in the yard replacing parts here and there because i had a idle/stalling/ choking just like rough idle at times anyhow i found out hundreds later that the egr valve wasnt working right old and rusty.

so any how just before i fixed the idle problem my dad hooked up his trailer and tryed to tow his wheelers out to ride with it and it climbed up had to turn around.

So now you have plastic pressure bottles at 60-100$ a pop blowing open caps stripping ect we noticed the cooling fan wasnt coming on.

So we decide to change the thermo and flush the rad out strip another pressure cap with bottle and decide to put on a screw clamp to help keep it on somewhat so still getting hot no fan still so we go and check some connections bypass the fan and test relay before figuring out the fan turns on from the relay figured maybe its the cooling sensor for the fan of some sort.

So we have ended up using a toggle switch for the fan replaced that sensor in the side of the radiator and tryed it and nothing appeared to happen still.

So long story short I just got my license going again plan on driving it as long as i can like all winter i cant see myself trying to goto the beach or some place hot and having to worry about the temp climbing up and up in traffic becuase a fan dont come on or something blows off or burning up oil faster so i figure if i goto this open system my headache will go away.

Anyways I picked up a 92 cherokee cheapo rad off ebay said automotive cooling Sunbelt Radiators as the brand.

My question is what i ordered seems like almost a direct replacment open style.

Now i have been reading that you have to do all of these fancy mods to goto open.

one or 2 people claim they just get new hoses and maybe an adapter or 2 and a pressure bottle and thats pretty much it.

My question is as i have herd that the original cooling sensor wouldent work with a open system and is different in some way and located in a different spot ect.

However we noticed this radiator appears to have a spot for the cooling sensor anyone know if thats possiable or just an illusion. I have also herd of some kind of heating control issue just wondering what i need.
You're just fine using that radiator. There are some write-ups on doing it. Search "closed ot open system" and see what comes up. Incredibly easy. Be sure to eliminate the heater control valve to make it even simpler.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

BleepinJeep did a mini series of videos on how to convert your closed cooling system to open.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bryanintowson
BleepinJeep did a mini series of videos on how to convert your closed cooling system to open.

Jeep Cherokee Closed to Open Cooling System How-To - Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
Thanks Bryan!!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

Np! Don't thank me unless it works tho!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Thanks got it working used some t and a hose or 2 and did not have to eliminate anything even used the stock pressure bottle for overflow tank
Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

If you still end up with overheating problems, you will know it wasn't the closed cooling system that was the problem.