Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Cherokee, oil pressure rockets then dives.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89 Cherokee, oil pressure rockets then dives.

My 89 Cherokee oil pressure goes up super high and then returns to normal constantly. It seems to be the highest at lower RPM's. When i am cruising around 25mph (3rd gear?) The oil pressure gage goes as high as it possibly can. When i pick up speed or it shifts and and the rpms go up the oil pressure goes back to normal. When its in 4wheel it does fine, only seems to be an issue when I am cruising at lower speeds. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to check?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Im no expert Im sure they'll be along shortly. It could be your Oil pressure sending unit going bad or completely failing. Also dumb question but there is oil in it haha always have to check.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The first culprit to consider is the oil pressure sender. Best way to check is with a mechanical gauge. That will tell you if you are getting accurate readings on your dash gauge. If the readings are accurate, then you've got some other issues, but start with the easy to check, simplest things first. If you don't have a mechanical gauge, you could always pick up a cheap version from Harbor Freight, or even do the
free rental from most of the auto parts chains.