Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee laredo wont stay in full time 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 cherokee laredo wont stay in full time 4 wheel drive

when i put my jeep in full time 4 wheel drive it goes in and as soon as i take off it switches over to part time and then when i turn the steering wheel it gets all wobbly and feels like the wheels are gonna fall off. can somebody please help me i just bought this thing and i have already converted the abs bendix 9 brakes over to power brakes and now the fuel pump is making a really loud humming noise in park and nuetral. also the air only blows out of the windshield vents in all positions on the control panel, plus the heater doesn't blow hot air. thanks for reading and for any help i get
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

That's a few problems all at once! I can help you out I think.

First off, when in part-time 4-wheel, it's normal for the Jeep to jerk when you turn even a little aggresive.

Why it wont STAY in FULL? That's rough, could be you need a new transfer case, but I would try a fluid change on it first.

As long as the fuel pump is working properly, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Your vents sound like they are stuck in one position, I would find out where the trap doors are and try cleaning 'em up.

As for the hot air issue, sounds like the little radiator the car uses to create the hot air isn't getting used, it could be clogged or the switch just isn't working.

I hope I helped you a little bit with just off-the-top-of-my-head ideas.
P.S.
Great job on getting rid of that shotty ABS system!!! I did the same thing with mine.

Last edited by Ender; 10-05-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spell fix
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

check all your vacuum lines for both the heater issues, and i think there is a vacuum control on some of the tcase set ups
Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 AM

Year: 1989

did u switch out the abs system yourself or have someone do it. now i have to figure out how to wire up a defferent brake light switch cuz the one it originally had is mounted directly on the peddal rod and the one i pulled off the junk yard is mounted under the dash and gets turned on and off by the peddal. there are so many wires though, im not sure what to do