Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

86 cherokee 2.5l wheres the spark plug current sensor supposed to be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 86
Default 86 cherokee 2.5l wheres the spark plug current sensor supposed to be?

newb here not new to cars, but new to jeeps. i picked up a 86 last night and today i noticed the sensor just layn near the back of the firewall. im sure its not going to do much sitting just any old place.i cant find any info on it. ive searched a few forums and the internet. any help would be great. this is the sensor with the warning tag atached to it. i assume its why my motor runs so rough too. any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 AM

Model: Cherokee

I've been a mechanic my whole life, and I've never heard of a "spark plug current sensor" I understand it's a 2.5L, but it is EFI, right? That's an AMC product you have there- last year before they went **** up.

As I'm sure you know- EFI engines without Ignition Control Modules incorporate a crankshaft position sensor, and a camshaft position sensor (also known as a pick-up coil). If it doesn't have a CPS, its got a control module. All engines have a PIP sensor inside the distributor.

On most engines, the pick-up spinning inside the distributor is what gives reference to the computer to supply current for the fuel pump.

If you're experiencing rough running, have you replaced: plugs, cap, wires, rotor, fuel filter- and are sure that you have proper crankcase ventilation; ie. not clogged?

I wish you could elaborate on what this sensor is- perhaps where its located, or even maybe a picture of it would be nice. Apparently it's not needed too much, because if it's anything having to do with spark, it wouldn't run without it!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Well since it actually runs we know that it is not a Crank Position Sensor, and the only other thing that i can think of that would go back there is a O2 sensor. Check you exaust and see if there is a hole in it? I buy a manual with every vehicle that i buy, you should get one too.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 AM

its a tbi efi motor. the peice is a small ferite square with coils on on part of it and a metal clip and a long section of twisted together wire running to a black box atop the back of the motor close to the firewall. it has a warning tag that says "spark plug current sensor must be attached or engine damage may result..." and something about the the cruisecontrol section of the hand book.
no its not a o2 sensor... give me some credit here i know what a o2 sensor is!!! its smaler than that its about the size of a quarter and square and clearly made out of ferite and is for sur a magnetic pick up of sorts with the coil wrap and 2 wires coming off it. ill see if i can draw a pic of it im not at home and snowed in away from the jeep or i would just snapp a pic.
the previous owner did cap (and rotor i assume) and new wires
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by farmfuel
I've been a mechanic my whole life, and I've never heard of a "spark plug current sensor" I understand it's a 2.5L, but it is EFI, right? That's an AMC product you have there- last year before they went **** up.

As I'm sure you know- EFI engines without Ignition Control Modules incorporate a crankshaft position sensor, and a camshaft position sensor (also known as a pick-up coil). If it doesn't have a CPS, its got a control module. All engines have a PIP sensor inside the distributor.

On most engines, the pick-up spinning inside the distributor is what gives reference to the computer to supply current for the fuel pump.

If you're experiencing rough running, have you replaced: plugs, cap, wires, rotor, fuel filter- and are sure that you have proper crankcase ventilation; ie. not clogged?

I wish you could elaborate on what this sensor is- perhaps where its located, or even maybe a picture of it would be nice. Apparently it's not needed too much, because if it's anything having to do with spark, it wouldn't run without it!
im wondering if its the "pip" since the guy did the new cap and rotor maybe he removed the pip for some dumb reason? i need to find pics of the sensors you mentioned so i can rule them out.i hate buying chiltons or haynes as they are usaully pretty vague on most stuff
Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Old 12-22-2008, 02:34 AM

Its kinda hard to post pics on here from my black berry but I did take pics of it today after I replaced my clutch master cylinder and heater switch. Now my running lights and dash are out plus the alternator belt broke today.
I will post pics as soon as I can get my laptop online thru my fone
Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 AM

"PIP" stands for profile ignition pick-up. (it's the pick-up coil under the rotor). PIP is actually a Ford acronym- but it describes the Hall-effect sensor that most distributors use to tell the computer the position of the cam/rotor in reference to firing position/order. It wouldn't run without it.

It sounds to me like what you're describing is some sort of MAP or BARO sensor (engine computer sensors) or perhaps like a Vacuum Vent Solenoid (VVS), or Canister Purge Solenoid...which are all emission items. Do you see any vacuum lines coming off of this "sensor"?

Have you ever thought about installing a 302/M5OD/NP208 in place of that 4 cyl? I know it's one hell of a job, but if you plan on keeping that Cherokee, that might be the thing to do. I can't imagine that tbi 4 cyl being too much fun to drive.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by 86gtstang86yota86rokee
Its kinda hard to post pics on here from my black berry but I did take pics of it today after I replaced my clutch master cylinder and heater switch. Now my running lights and dash are out plus the alternator belt broke today.
I will post pics as soon as I can get my laptop online thru my fone
Welcome to owning a Jeep. Jeep stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket"

or in your case "Just Enough Engine Power"...or perhaps not enough?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM

so far this beat up 2.5 seems pretty strong. being as i drive a souped up 5.0 mustang( i have 2 actuallY) i really dont want another gas hog. but i would do it if i had the extra motor and stuff. more likely i would do that to my toyota truck than jeep. JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET , LOL . i just replaced the clutch master cylinder the second day i had this thing and then the heater switch that was cooked to a crisp only to have the the headlight switch lose running lights and dash lights, then last night the alt belt broke. and i have that weird dealer installed a/c on a non a/c original car so its was a 4 hour ordeal getting the right belt!but so far i love this thing its great in the snow but the 4speed stick is kinda geared funny.
anyways heres a crappy pic of the sensor sitting ontop of the valve cover. im having trouble uploading the better pics i took

Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM

bump
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 AM

I'd say follow the wires and see where they go. If it was anything factory, it would probably be tucked inside a factory wiring loom.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 AM

i found even more crap tied into it, theres a sensor pointed at the drive shaft under the jeep,lol and it runs to the box. i think someone put a gm cruise control in here
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM

its the sensor for the cruse control i have the same thing on my jeep 2.8 its an after market cruse control system its sapos to go around the spark plug wire closes to the distributor as possible kinda like a timing light

Quick Reply: 86 cherokee 2.5l wheres the spark plug current sensor supposed to be?