Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

View green96xj's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default 8.25 Limited slip

I have a stock limited slip diff in my 96 chrysler 8.25 rear. i cant afford a lunchbox locker and i refuse to lincoln lock my DD. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in rebuilding these diffs. Things to look out for, tips, and any other feedback is greatly appreciated.
green96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View Metmknice's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

Is your LS not working like it should?

Some people are like Slinkies...Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Metmknice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View tannerp89's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

I rebuilt the limited slip in my 8.25 last spring...
It's a PITA to get the spiders out, I used a punch to lightly tap the side gears to rotate the spiders out. once the spiders come out the side gears and clutch packs should just slide out.
Now getting the gears back in is tricky, and works better with two or three people.
once you have the clutch packs and side gears in, slide your axles and c clips back in. you'll need them to compress the clutch packs so you can rotate the spiders and thrust washer in.
then I had my buddies pull on each axle and turn them as I slide the spiders in place. it takes some force to do it, as there is no pressure spring for the packs....
1998 cherokee - rebuilt 4.0 w/ all the goodies, RADesigns Rock shifter and AW4 shift rail/TC lock, RE 3.5" superflex kit, cragar soft 8's, Maxxis BigHorn's 32x11.5R15, locked HP D30, Limited Slip 8.25", 4.56's...

Check out My Build Thread: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/hea...project-38788/
tannerp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View djb383's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by green96xj View Post
I have a stock limited slip diff in my 96 chrysler 8.25 rear. i cant afford a lunchbox locker and i refuse to lincoln lock my DD. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in rebuilding these diffs. Things to look out for, tips, and any other feedback is greatly appreciated.
It may not need a rebuild......if the torque at the ends is 30-200 ft/lbs, it's within factory spec. Get out your torque wrench.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

View knuckleduster271's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by green96xj View Post
I dont think you can put a lunchbox in a limited slip carrier, only open carriers. Im not sure but I dont think you can lincoln lock a limited slip carrier either
knuckleduster271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #6

1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metmknice View Post
Is your LS not working like it should?
That would be a big negative. it used to pull posi on wet roads and dirt and now it wont do either. i havent serviced it since i got it at 130000 mi and im only at 163000 now. it has only started this here in the past 5000 mi or so. i service the diffs at about every 40000 miles with the lsd additive. i was about to service these but i think i have slightly larger issues.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #7

1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerp89 View Post
I rebuilt the limited slip in my 8.25 last spring...
It's a PITA to get the spiders out, I used a punch to lightly tap the side gears to rotate the spiders out. once the spiders come out the side gears and clutch packs should just slide out.
Now getting the gears back in is tricky, and works better with two or three people.
once you have the clutch packs and side gears in, slide your axles and c clips back in. you'll need them to compress the clutch packs so you can rotate the spiders and thrust washer in.
then I had my buddies pull on each axle and turn them as I slide the spiders in place. it takes some force to do it, as there is no pressure spring for the packs....
do you have to soak the clutches in the additive first? i know we had to do that for ford and gm rears but im not sure about the chrysler?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM

submit to reddit