Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4WD Wont Disengage Properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4WD Wont Disengage Properly

Hey everyone. I have an auto 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic with the 4.0 liter and np231 T case. I have noticed lately that when I shift the jeep from 4 high into 2 wheel drive it does not disengage right away. Some times it takes as long as a couple minutes. When it finally does it clunks pretty loudly and shakes the jeep as if the gears were catching or something. Its just one good bang and then it shifts into 2wd. It has no problem shifting from into 4wd or 4 high to 4 lo and back... only from 4 high into 2WD. It seems every time it happens it gets a little worse and the bang is a little harder so I really would like to figure out what's causing it. I am guessing possibly something in the transfer case? I have to pull the T case apart soon to put in an SYE so if it is that I could fix it then. What do you guys think it could be? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a manual TC. when you drop it from 4 to 2wd it should disengage. you may have a problem somewhere else. maybe the front dif.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 Sport

Dunno myself haven't heard anything like that but keep us posted as to what you find.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Year: 1989

i think you need to adjust you linkage, cause its not dissengaging till the tranny says "get out" lol
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

its a manual TC. when you drop it from 4 to 2wd it should disengage. you may have a problem somewhere else. maybe the front dif.
It did seem to be coming more from the front end than the rear but it is kinda hard to tell.
i think you need to adjust you linkage, cause its not dissengaging till the tranny says "get out" lol
Hmmm I see... I will have to look up how to do that. Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Year: 1989

the link has a rod with a bolt that holds it , loosen the rod and tap it towards the rear of the jeep.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

the link has a rod with a bolt that holds it , loosen the rod and tap it towards the rear of the jeep.
Ahh I see... thanks a lot for the help! I will have to give that a try. Is this something you think could possibly get out of adjustment over time? Considering this is a problem that just randomly started.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 AM

My '98 XJ Sport does that too. At low speeds (like when coming to a stop) on smooth roads, the Jeep "bounces" up and down, and "sways" from side to side. Also there is considerable tire where. I have yet to find the cause. I am also hearing a vacuum leak (while inside the jeep). I've tried to pinpoint the leak but haven't yet. Am I even looking in the right direction or does the 4wd disengage electronically. I need to find a vacuum routing diagram... I put a Pro-Comp 3" lift on it, with 31x10.5 tires, changed the ball joints and ordered tie rod ends, also need to install the Tcase drop parts.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 AM

Year: 2000

I've got the same issue w my '00. Sometimes it takes up to 1 or 2 minutes to disengage & when it does it sounds like someone is trying to rip the front end out from under the Jeep.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
The shifting fork is directly operated when shifted from 2wd to 4wd H, but spring-operated when shifting back.
The best way to disengage it is reverse a couple of times, never do tough turns in 4wd on asphalt, look for a gravel spot.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I've got the same issue w my '00. Sometimes it takes up to 1 or 2 minutes to disengage & when it does it sounds like someone is trying to rip the front end out from under the Jeep.
Yep that sounds just like mine lol

The shifting fork is directly operated when shifted from 2wd to 4wd H, but spring-operated when shifting back.
The best way to disengage it is reverse a couple of times, never do tough turns in 4wd on asphalt, look for a gravel spot.
Interesting info, thanks! The only thing is I have never had any trouble disengaging it before and I haven't started doing anything different. So it leads me to believe that something is wrong with the actual mechanism not the way its being shifted.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by fantic238
I have the same issues. However I do not agree that the best way to disengage is to go in reverse. Having to do so in not part of the "normal" operation. The T-Case is supposed to be able to go in and out on the fly.

Here is a scenario which is quite frequent around my parts. The State does a decent job of plowing the Highways. Various towns and municipalities do not. I will be in 4PT on a side road and pull out onto 22. Now 22 will be clean pavement and since it is a highway, its speed is 55MPH. If I am in 4PT, I cannot drive on it at those speeds. I need to transfer back to 2W. However, I have a line of cars behind me. I do not that luxury of stopping and putting it in reverse.

We all know many ways to baby our trucks to "make" them work, but that does not mean they are indeed working as they should! If the T-Case is not shifting in and out as it is supposed, something is wrong.

Now for mine, I have a 242 without the vacuum. I am just swapping out the T-Case and hoping that solves it. If not, I will have to keep looking.

Crazy thing is, you would think somebody has already gone through this problem and has a solution!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by jimmy
I have the same issues. However I do not agree that the best way to disengage is to go in reverse. Having to do so in not part of the "normal" operation. The T-Case is supposed to be able to go in and out on the fly.

Here is a scenario which is quite frequent around my parts. The State does a decent job of plowing the Highways. Various towns and municipalities do not. I will be in 4PT on a side road and pull out onto 22. Now 22 will be clean pavement and since it is a highway, its speed is 55MPH. If I am in 4PT, I cannot drive on it at those speeds. I need to transfer back to 2W. However, I have a line of cars behind me. I do not that luxury of stopping and putting it in reverse.

We all know many ways to baby our trucks to "make" them work, but that does not mean they are indeed working as they should! If the T-Case is not shifting in and out as it is supposed, something is wrong.

Now for mine, I have a 242 without the vacuum. I am just swapping out the T-Case and hoping that solves it. If not, I will have to keep looking.

Crazy thing is, you would think somebody has already gone through this problem and has a solution!
I have the 242 as well, sometimes it works immediately, sometimes just hitting the gas pedal, other times it just won't work. It's a matter of tensional stress on the gears, slightly different tire diameters, weakness of the springs etc... What it isn't for sure is the linkage, unless the lever has a lot of play.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Year: 2000

In my case the disengagement time period is hit or miss... sometimes it'll disengage quickly, sometimes not so quickly. Also, my 4x4 indicator lights in the cluster don't work but I do know that the the 4WD is working... is there any relationship between the two issues??
Old 01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Also, my 4x4 indicator lights in the cluster don't work but I do know that the the 4WD is working... is there any relationship between the two issues??
Same here... my 4wd indicator light does not work as well.

Quick Reply: 4WD Wont Disengage Properly