Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4wd = Bad Noises!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default 4wd = Bad Noises!

Hey guys, so to start out I drive a 95 cherokee country, with the 4.0, automatic, and a 8.25 rear end with 3.55 gears, and a Dana 30 front axle. This information will be pertinent as I shall explain. My jeep is all stock mechanically, and I put a good set of all terrains on it.
Now I shall explain my problem, I have had my jeep for 3 years now , and I love it. I have always wanted to modify it, but I have never had the money to spend solely on my jeep. I am from Southern California, so I never got to do much off roading, other than your basic donuts in dirt fields and some 4x4 in Cal City. Now I live in Florida, and I was presented with the opportunity to go on an off-roading trip to HardRock Offroad Park and do some actual jeep trails. I jumped at the opportunity so I could see whether or not the jeep life was something I plan on living. I had a great time and my jeep impressed me even with its worn out stock suspension. I took it easy for the most part, no rocks or anything, but I did some hill climbing and mud trails that weren't too deep.
My jeep was making some weird grinding noises throughout the day, but I assumed it was because I was turning while in 4wd (don't make fun of me lol, I have no trail experience) but then I got stuck on a pretty intense muddy spot where I got beached. I got in there, and tried to get it out with the guidance of my jeep friends, and when I got on the gas it made awful grinding noises whenever I gassed it . I got pulled out by a buddy, and then had to make my way out of the park only in 2wd, which to my surprise the xj did with ease as long as I hit the hills and mud with momentum. This is where I realized that the awful grinding noises exist only when I use 4wd, and everything is perfectly normal in 2wd. I drove an hour and a half home with no problems. So as far as I know I can still daily drive it but there is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed. My research and other automotive knowledge leads me to believe that it is the transfer case or the front differential, or with any luck maybe my shift linkage is out of wack.

Sorry for this long story, but I really would like to fix this and possibly get into the world of modified jeeps. Does anybody have any insight? I read maybe it is the transfer case chain, but I am crossing my fingers that isn't it. I am comfortable working on my jeep, and I never pay anybody to fix it, but at this moment I live in a college dorm and only have basic tools. Anybody have any ideas or help? Can I drive it in 2wd in the meantime? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

no problem with the long post. I would check the linkage and adjust if needed. It may not be engaging 4wd all the way giving you a grinding sound. I would also change the fluid wile you are under there. Use dextron/mercon fluid that you use in the transmission.
here is a link to a video on linkage adjustment
Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
no problem with the long post. I would check the linkage and adjust if needed. It may not be engaging 4wd all the way giving you a grinding sound. I would also change the fluid wile you are under there. Use dextron/mercon fluid that you use in the transmission.
here is a link to a video on linkage adjustment
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHp2hdvZ4oY
Thanks man, i will give that adjustment a try and hopefully change the fluid this weekend. If it works ill update for anybody else, or if it doesnt ill be back for more advice!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Year: 1999
Default Great timing!

I love stuff like this. Last time it snowed, I noticed that the jeep didn't want to fully shift from 4H to 2H. Found that I had to stop and back up a few inches to complete the shift. Made a mental note to check into adjusting the shift linkage for the transfer case and promptly forgot about it. Weather guessers say we're gonna get a bunch of snow tomorrow and I made a new mental note this morning to check out the linkage when I get home. Popped onto the forum just now and found this thread with just the video I needed.

Thanks for reading my mind!
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by ctrick98
Thanks man, i will give that adjustment a try and hopefully change the fluid this weekend. If it works ill update for anybody else, or if it doesnt ill be back for more advice!
And check your engine and trans mounts.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Check the front drive shaft and axle u-joints also.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Check the front drive shaft and axle u-joints also.
What should I check the drive shaft for? And i will check all the u joints
Old 02-10-2017, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

The u-joints on the front driveshaft.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by ctrick98
Hey guys, so to start out I drive a 95 cherokee country, with the 4.0, automatic, and a 8.25 rear end with 3.55 gears, and a Dana 30 front axle. This information will be pertinent as I shall explain. My jeep is all stock mechanically, and I put a good set of all terrains on it.
Now I shall explain my problem, I have had my jeep for 3 years now , and I love it. I have always wanted to modify it, but I have never had the money to spend solely on my jeep. I am from Southern California, so I never got to do much off roading, other than your basic donuts in dirt fields and some 4x4 in Cal City. Now I live in Florida, and I was presented with the opportunity to go on an off-roading trip to HardRock Offroad Park and do some actual jeep trails. I jumped at the opportunity so I could see whether or not the jeep life was something I plan on living. I had a great time and my jeep impressed me even with its worn out stock suspension. I took it easy for the most part, no rocks or anything, but I did some hill climbing and mud trails that weren't too deep.
My jeep was making some weird grinding noises throughout the day, but I assumed it was because I was turning while in 4wd (don't make fun of me lol, I have no trail experience) but then I got stuck on a pretty intense muddy spot where I got beached. I got in there, and tried to get it out with the guidance of my jeep friends, and when I got on the gas it made awful grinding noises whenever I gassed it . I got pulled out by a buddy, and then had to make my way out of the park only in 2wd, which to my surprise the xj did with ease as long as I hit the hills and mud with momentum. This is where I realized that the awful grinding noises exist only when I use 4wd, and everything is perfectly normal in 2wd. I drove an hour and a half home with no problems. So as far as I know I can still daily drive it but there is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed. My research and other automotive knowledge leads me to believe that it is the transfer case or the front differential, or with any luck maybe my shift linkage is out of wack.

Sorry for this long story, but I really would like to fix this and possibly get into the world of modified jeeps. Does anybody have any insight? I read maybe it is the transfer case chain, but I am crossing my fingers that isn't it. I am comfortable working on my jeep, and I never pay anybody to fix it, but at this moment I live in a college dorm and only have basic tools. Anybody have any ideas or help? Can I drive it in 2wd in the meantime? Thanks!
OK so this is something that I'd check after all the easy stuff. Your chain in your transfer case. I am 85 percent sure that it's the chain and that it is just loose. Only way to really check is to drain the fluid from the case and look in the drain hole. If you can't tell much from that you'll have to take the tcase apart. It's rather intensive repair that is why you should check everything else first. I just had to do this on mine. Good thing about this is tool wise you only need two special tools a flat head external snap ring pliers and the heavy duty internal snap ring pliers with the pin head tips. Those two pliers are only going to cost you 80 bucks most total. Once you get past all the stupid snap rings it's a rather straight forward job that I was surprised it wasn't to bad.

Last edited by xj981995; 02-11-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

if it is front axle shaft u-joints. unless they're not broken, they should still get you out just be noisy.
the linkage may be it, slipping out of 4wd into neutral.

if the chain is loose, it will make lots of noise also. easy way to check that is jack up the front drivers side wheel and get under the jeep with it off, of course, and turn the driveshaft by hand while in 4wd.