Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3 inch lift death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 3 inch lift death wobble

so i just installed a 3 inch rough country suspension lift on my 2000 xj. i used front coil springs and shocks with rear add a leaf. i was driving down the road and experienced the "death wobble". after the lift i did align it and ive heard you should replace the track bar and get a drop pitman arm, granted im going to do both with a three inch lift is there anything thats absolutely necessary to replace? thanks for any help
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Or at least redrill your track bar mount over 3/4". You shouldn't need a new drop pitman at 3". You also shouldn't NEED an SYE, but all Jeeps are different and the newer they are the more likely they are to need one with any kind of lift.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwatson
so i just installed a 3 inch rough country suspension lift on my 2000 xj. i used front coil springs and shocks with rear add a leaf. i was driving down the road and experienced the "death wobble". after the lift i did align it and ive heard you should replace the track bar and get a drop pitman arm, granted im going to do both with a three inch lift is there anything thats absolutely necessary to replace? thanks for any help
Hi.
I also did a 3" lift on my '93 xj but I made the HUGE mistake of trying to re-drill the axle bracket where the track bar end connects (the lift makes the track bar move to the driver's side about 3/4"-1"). Unfortunately my second hole ran into the first and created an oval hole which allowed the track bar to move back and forth-this created severe death wobble. My bad. Ultimately I had to go to an off-raod shop and have them basically rebuild and reinforce the axle bracket with a LOT of welding. Now it's fine, but I guess that's what I get for trying to be a cheapskate and not replace the track bar.
Sorry for getting a little off subject, but regarding YOUR death wobble, are you sure it's actual track bar-related wobble or is it a driveshaft yoke (whether front or rear), that is now pulled out too far from the support bearing? If this is the case, the lack of support causes the yoke to vibrate, especially under deceleration. If yours is like mine, you should be able to tell how far the driveshaft(s) are overextended by measuring the clean area on the yoke shaft. If it's more than about 1'-11/4" you might need to have your driveshafts lengthened. I was lucky-my XJ only has about 90K easy miles on it and the yoke bearings are still pretty tight. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Berserker
Hi.
I also did a 3" lift on my '93 xj but I made the HUGE mistake of trying to re-drill the axle bracket where the track bar end connects (the lift makes the track bar move to the driver's side about 3/4"-1"). Unfortunately my second hole ran into the first and created an oval hole which allowed the track bar to move back and forth-this created severe death wobble. My bad. Ultimately I had to go to an off-raod shop and have them basically rebuild and reinforce the axle bracket with a LOT of welding. Now it's fine, but I guess that's what I get for trying to be a cheapskate and not replace the track bar.
Sorry for getting a little off subject, but regarding YOUR death wobble, are you sure it's actual track bar-related wobble or is it a driveshaft yoke (whether front or rear), that is now pulled out too far from the support bearing? If this is the case, the lack of support causes the yoke to vibrate, especially under deceleration. If yours is like mine, you should be able to tell how far the driveshaft(s) are overextended by measuring the clean area on the yoke shaft. If it's more than about 1'-11/4" you might need to have your driveshafts lengthened. I was lucky-my XJ only has about 90K easy miles on it and the yoke bearings are still pretty tight. Hope this helps.
just to let you know a drive line vibe isnt true "death wobble"

replacing the trac bar can help but death wobble can be caused by alot of things.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Death Wobble can be caused by many things, it's almost never just one thing but many together. I had my "wobble" start after I replace a bad steering box spacer. I ended up replacing my drag link (with ends), tie rod (with ends), and I added a adjustable track bar. I have a 2000 cherokee with a 4 1/2 lift. Wobble is gone, next on the list is getting a SYE and losing my TC drop since I have some drive shaft vibes.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
just to let you know a drive line vibe isnt true "death wobble"

replacing the trac bar can help but death wobble can be caused by alot of things.
drive line vibes and death wobble are not even close to the same thing. i had death wobble for about a month because of lack of funds i couldnt get it fixed. so i didnt have any one ride in my jeep. got it fixed but still have drive line vibes, when people ride with me now and ask " what is that horrible shaking?" i just start laughing. but there is no mistaking death wobble.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I just put the exact same lift on my 97 2dr yesterday and have absolutely no issues with it. Sorry to hear your luck. I'm guessing your problem may have to do with your low pinion dana 30 front axle, since mine has the high pinion and I'm not having any issues. A transfer case drop will lessen your front driveline angle some and may help solve the problem. Of course there is no saying for sure, but this a cheap and easy fix so if it doesn't work (you know how things can go...) at least you're not out a lot of money and work.

Good Luck