Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

.26 volts coming from fog light switch wires. please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default .26 volts coming from fog light switch wires. please help

So i am new to the forum so go easy on me. a drunk driver recently went under my 01 Cherokee busting up my front bumper and fog lights . so long story short i put on some old hella lights that i had from my old toyota. i never hooked them up but installed them on my new bumper. before i pluged them in i took a tester to the factory end of the foglight wiring and got nothing. so i checked the light on the switch and again nothing. btw this is with the head lights on and with the running lights on. so i pulled the switch out thinking it was like everyone else. once the light bulb goes out the switch is bad. also i did check the fuses before hand. anyway i got 12 volts out of the wires for the switch and hooked up a 20 amp switch to it. the switch light came on when i flipped it. went out side to check if i was getting power out of the front and nothing. went back inside and switch light no longer works. its an aftermarket switch so nothing to it. so i back tracked and removed the switch and now im getting 0.26 volts from the same wires i got 12 from before. i rechecked all the fuses again and all good. please help. i dont know how to make sure if the realy is working properly any more im compleatly stumped. if i knew what to jump or where to go with this i would but this is my only hope. thanks again
Old 11-23-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

nvm figured it out. number 7 fuse in the cab was bad and when it goes out it makes .26 volts. changed out the fuse and found the switch i had was a 20 amp while everything else is 15 amp so had to change it up. getting a new switch and some more fuses. other thing is the head lights go off after about 4 seconds when i turn the fog lights on. if anyone knows why please let me know