Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 will start once and then nothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 will start once and then nothing

I have terrible luck buying cars it seems. My last car was totaled while parked on the road and just bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee yesterday. I test drove it around town and on the highway and it worked fine. It only has 100k on it and I felt it was a safe buy. on my way home it died at a stoplight about 3 miles from the guys house. I was unable to jump it and the battery seemed fine. the done light was on and power seems normal. A guy stopped to help me that turned out to be a mechanic. He pretty confidently told me that my ignition coil rail was bad; he believed that the engine was not getting spark, checked to port on the fuel injector rail and it was pressurized. today i was able to start it once in the morning and once in the evening. the first time you start it the car fires up but then dies in about 2 seconds and wont start again.I checked the price and I can order one fore about $50. should i get it o is it more likely a bad crank position sensor?