Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 Cherokee Turn Signals Not Functioning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Cherokee Turn Signals Not Functioning?

Hello,

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L that I am having problems with both the turn signals and hazards. This problem happens intermittently, but needs to be addressed since I'm taking it to inspection soon.

Anyway, the problem is when I pull the turn signal down, or up; the turn signal will just stay on. Both the dash signal stays lit up green, as well as the outside lamps, they just stay lit up. This happens when I put the turn signal lever down or up, both left and right turn signals will stay lit up and not blink, as well as when I put the flashers on. Sometimes this happens right away, sometimes the turn signal will blink once or twice, than just stay lit up as if it's getting stuck.

I'm just wondering what the problem is? I'd like to completed this repair on my own since I'm on a tight budget. I don't mind buying the parts from the local auto stores, I just want to buy the correct part to solve my problem.

Any help on the problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Start with the Flasher Relay. It will be a small black 5-pronged relay located under the headlight switch. To access, you will need to remove the panel below the steering column, (3 screws), then the metal plate behind that panel (2 screws). If you can get the flashers or hazards to blink, you should be able to locate the relay itself by touch or sound. It'll be the one that has foam wrapped around it.

Just replaced mine this month, and picked up a new flasher relay for about $15.00 from a local parts store.

This was for my 99, I'm only assuming its the same setup on a 01.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. It was the flasher relay. Only way to check it is replace it. On my 1999 cherokee I did not need to remove anything, Just get your head down on the floor and look up under the left side of the dash. Unplug it and plug in a new one.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to go to Autozone tomorrow morning. I was just on their website, and found this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...47231_0_11714_

I was wondering if this is the piece I'm looking to replace?

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I did this a few months back. I would pull the bad one if possible and compare it to the one at the store. Because if I recall there some different, but close, sizes.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 AM

Best bet is to have yours in-hand when you go into the parts store. Disassemble at home to access the flasher relay, and actually remove the relay itself at the store. There should be a Mopar part number on the flasher itself that the parts store can cross reference to make sure you get the correct item.

Your pic looks right, but there are various styles with different connectors on the male side of it.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

It's your multi-function switch!

Last edited by Doubleajaybrock; 08-25-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check:
1. Fuses
2. Relay (easy to get to if you pop off the lower half of the dash under the steering column)
3. Make sure all harnesses are properly attached to the multifunction switch (as seen above). I want to say there are three (?) that plug into it.
4. If that's not it, it may be the entire multifunction switch itself.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM

^ What spazzy said.

I suggested starting with the flasher relay due to it being cheaper to replace than the multifunction switch, although absolutely check over your fuses and any other relay that is part of the flasher/blinker system.

Just picked up a new multifunction switch a few minutes ago from Napa, as my recent flasher relay replacement resolved my non-flash problem, but created a new issue where, when using my left blinker, both rear blinkers are flashing.

Multifunction switch was $54.xx from Napa, Dealership wanted $90.xx
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but since its getting attention, I'll throw my question in here too.

Said this above, but i'll recap quickly. Intermittent no blinker issues since I purchased my XJ. Replaced the flasher relay a few weeks ago, now I have blinkers, but my left blinker causes both rear blinkers to go on. Front blinkers function fine.

Purchased and installed new multifunction switch today. After install, now my RIGHT blinker is causing both rear blinkers to flash, left blinker is functioning fine. Swapped the old multi switch back in, and everything was working fine. Got halfway through reinstalling everything, tested it again, and the same problem reocurred, left blinker causing both rear blinkers to flash.

If I leave the multi switch hanging by its connectors, everything seems fine. When I screw it back into the steering column, or jiggle it enough, I get both rear blinkers with using the left blinker.

Sounds to me like a ground issues or wires are rubbing, and there isnt a whole lot of room around the steering column to go chasing wires. Hopefully someone has gone through this before where the issue wasnt the relay or switch, or has a wiring diagram for the multi switch connectors!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

My blinkers would either not work, or flash twice and then not work till i had to move the switch 2-8 times and then flash 2-3 times then stop. repalced the relay and its fixed. This is a common failure and would be a great place to start. Just to add a pic of the Relay Location... looking left of the steering column behind the bottum dash panel. (the one labled blinker)
Name:  IMG_0650.jpg
Views: 18592
Size:  69.2 KB

Tsea99xj, Your problem sounds like a wiring problem. If you wiggle it and it changes then you are close to the location of the problem. I would get a light and trace the harness back to look for a rubbed threw wire.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 PM

I'm in agreeance with you Gorilla. I ran through all the connections on the Blinker harness that connects to the Multifunction switch with a test light just to try and get a feel for which wires are for which lights, but with the problem occuring, I think i'm getting some false readings.

There's about 3-4 inches of exposed wires after they leave the multifunction switch blinker connector, then they're wrapped in electrical tape together, snake around the steering column, and feed into a larger harness that's covered in some sort of thermal wrap.

Anyone with a Chiltons/Haynes know if it shows a wiring diagram for the blinkers in it, or at least labels the wires by color?

Only other thing I can think of is that it wasn't my jiggling of the switch that caused the problem to stop or occur, but just coincidental.

When I bought the XJ, the aftermarket trailer wiring harness had been sliced off about a foot from the 4-pin connector, which lead me to believe maybe there had been a similar issue before. I had rewired the connector back together some time ago, and sliced it back off tonight, to no avail. Could the problem possibly be in the back end, when the trailer harness was originally wired in?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TSea99XJ
Only other thing I can think of is that it wasn't my jiggling of the switch that caused the problem to stop or occur, but just coincidental.

Could the problem possibly be in the back end, when the trailer harness was originally wired in?
yes it could. this is the most common location for a lot of wiring failures i see at work. My after market trailer harness is tapped into the harness behind the drivers rear plastics in the cargo area. I would look into this location to see if anything is going on there. the wires can also rub threw on the part the goes down the fender and out to the hitch. If the wiring looks good under the dahs I would check the trailer harness to be sure.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

I had a similar problem a while back. I dont know if you wheel your Jeep much but I will put in my 2 cents and who knows maybe it will help you. What happened in my case was a bad ground. After trimming the fenders and disconecting the sway bar my front tire chewed up my inner fender enough to push a ground bolt out of where it was mounted into the inner fender under the hood. The ground was located on the driver side near the shock mount. So I had to relocate it. Not sure if this would apply to you but thats what the problem was in my case. Or it could just be a bad ground somwhere else.

Last edited by helmut; 09-12-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Reading this forum led me in the right direction to fix my turn signals in my 91 jeep cherokee laredo.
I just made this video to return the favor. Hopefully it helps someone out.

Last edited by TRACKMIXERS; 11-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Cherokee Turn Signals Not Functioning?