Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

View GBitterling's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Default 2001 cherokee sport 4.0 start problem

jeep will crank but not start.
noticed when key is turned to run or start there is no reading on the voltage gage or the fuel gage. Put a fuel pressure gage on and no reading. Put a jumper in the fuel pump relay port and get a 49 psi reading.Feel i have an electrical problem but not sure where to look. I keep going thru my service manual but it's not helping too much.
GBitterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

View SBpunk's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

First check your grounds. Sounds dumb but you'd be surprised. Next check your fuel pump relays and fuses. If those all check out then detach the fuel line closest to the front of the fuel rail and crank it with a buddy. If fuel comes out then move on to the ignition system.

This is going to involve a screwdriver and a little bit of a shock. Take the number one plug off and put a flat head screwdriver in the spark plug cable and have a buddy crank it. Its going to shock a little but pay attention to the color of the spark. Orangeish is bad. White is good.

Knock those out and get back to us
SBpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #3

2001 Cherokee

I,m am goingto check the grounds. It looks like I have a open circuit someplace as I have no movement on my voltage or fuel gage when I turn the key to the run position. Thank you for your imput. Gary
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #4

View bamasteeler's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

automatic shut down relay good??if its not you wont get power to anything in the start sequence
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
CF Veteran

View tjwalker's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

What you describe are "classic" symptoms of a failed crankshaft position sensor. Oftentimes, those two gauges will not work when the crank sensor fails in a certain way.

Here is how to further troubleshoot this. Disconnect the connector for the crank sensor and if your fuel and voltage gauges start working with the crank sensor disconnected, there is smoking gun proof that your crank sensor is shorted.

The connector is on the right side of the engine as you are facing the engine and should be near or slightly below the firewall. If you have to buy a crank sensor, do yourself a big favor and buy a Mopar unit directly from Jeep. Crank sensors are not all created equal.

Keep us updated!

Past Jeeps: '49 Willys, '81 Scrambler, '88 Comanche

Current Jeep: 1999 XJ Sport, bone stock, daily driver.

I work on Jeeps!!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

2001 Cherokee

Thanks a lot. I found out I hada bad cam sensor and a broken wire inthe harness next to the injectors. Starts and runs good now. Now my cruise control doesnt work. Now for my next project. Thanks again. Gary
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech