Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2001 Cherokee blower motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Cherokee blower motor problems

I have a 2001 Cherokee that I am having problems with the blower motor for the heat-a/c. The original problem was the motor would quit blowing and I would have to get out and tap on the motor to start it blowing again.
When I had time I installed a new blower motor.
Now with the new motor when I run it on Max A/C and the fan switch on high, the relay behind the glove box continually trips and resets. If I don't have it set on Max A/C it will operate on all 4 normal fan speeds but still will occasionally trip the relay and then come back on.
From what I have read here it does not sound like the blower resistor, and I have put in a new relay but still have the same problem. I am leaning towards it being a defective blower motor drawing to many amps and tripping the relay.
Before I pull the pain in the ***** to get to blower motor again I would like to know what some of the more experienced Jeep owners think about my problem.
Thank you in advance,
Mark
Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What does the connector and pins look like? Sometimes they get hot enough to melt.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM

The connectors were fine when I changed out the motor
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: straight 6 4.0

I would check the wiring all the way between motor and controls could be a slightly bare wire just getting enough contact to arc and trip the relay.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by tjskywalker328
I would check the wiring all the way between motor and controls could be a slightly bare wire just getting enough contact to arc and trip the relay.
X2
My first thought was the relay which you have already replaced.
Second thought was the fan itself which you have already replaced.
Only other thing possibly worth replacing would be the resistor. But before you do that and possibly waste money on a part not needed I would check the wires as mentioned above. I know on mine when I pulled the AC/heater control panel the plug on the backside was melted. I would check that and see what it and the wires look like before swapping that fan back out. Good luck!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM

I have considered the wiring as a possible cause and have checked what is easily seen as well as the connectors on the resistor, relay and motor and all are fine. What makes me think motor instead of wiring is the original problem was not a constant tripping of the relay since the motor would not come on at any speed setting unless I tapped on the motor itself and jarred the brushes into making contact again, then after installing the motor I started having the relay trip issue. The other reason I tend to believe it is not wiring related is the fact that the relay trip is almost exclusively only on Max a/c and the blower on high. If it was a wiring problem I would think the relay would be tripping on any fan speed rather than just on Max. Does my line of thinking make sense to anyone besides me? Also from what I have read here about the resistor is that if it is bad you lose all the fan speeds except the Max a/c if I understand its purpose correctly.

Last edited by mhurlbut; 07-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

For the price of a resistor I'd swap it out, vs warranting out a blower motor. Its really the only remaining x factor.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM

I replaced the resistor and still had the relay problem. I pulled the blower motor and put in a used one I had laying around since the part store was closed and the problem is gone. The only reason I did not put it in first was to avoid changing it twice if it was no good. So back to the part store for a refund and hopefully this used one will go for another 150K miles. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by mhurlbut
I replaced the resistor and still had the relay problem. I pulled the blower motor and put in a used one I had laying around since the part store was closed and the problem is gone. The only reason I did not put it in first was to avoid changing it twice if it was no good. So back to the part store for a refund and hopefully this used one will go for another 150K miles. Thanks for the help everyone
Wow. Bad motor from the parts store that sucks. Glad you found your issue and got it resolved!!!