Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 won't go into park

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 won't go into park

This is an intermittent problem, but starting to develop a pattern. 2000 XJ with 6 cyl auto. Occasionally after driving I can't move the shifter into park. Move it back and forth, but past reverse it seems to hit a hard stop and won't go any further. Some time ago this happened (also intermittently) but moving it back and forth eventually it'd go. Now, no.

The odd thing is that it seems to happen after my morning drive to work (5 miles) when it's cold out. I leave it in neutral and go inside, when I come back out at lunchtime (after it's warmed up?) it moves smoothly into park and I have no trouble for the rest of the day. But it doesn't happen every day, cold or not.

The only other thing that might be related (though it seems unlikely, it's on the tranny) is a flaky neutral safety switch... occasionally it won't crank, but all I have to do is push the shifter a little farther forward and it then starts every time.

Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 6 cylinder

Could be the tranny shifter cable is either out of adjustment or its bushing is worn at the transmission shift lever. I'd check that first.
The tranny could be slightly out of neutral because of a shift cable issue, the reason pushing the shift lever gets the engine to start.
I'm no expert but seems like something is going on with the shifter mechanism.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Check your **** beads (lmao)/brake interlock.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Been too cold to look at it further, but more weirdness: Get up in the [cold] morning to drive to work, it was in park overnight. Without even starting the engine (or with it started, doesn't matter), I move the shifter from park to reverse and it won't go back into park. Drive to work, still won't go into park, so I leave it in neutral. Come back outside at lunchtime, and it goes into park with no trouble, and no further trouble for the rest of the day. Next morning, go back to the top of this post.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Reviving a old thread.

Did you figure this out?

My son took his 01 xj 4x4 to school today. And called and said it won't go into park.

He drove about 6-7 miles. And it very cold today.

I am going to dive by his school shortly and see what I see.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 AM

No, never figured it out. The weather got warm and the problem went away and it came back again when it got cold this winter. It's not quite annoying enough to warrant looking it and it's not getting worse, so I park in neutral with the park brake on and carry a spare key for when I need to lock the vehicle (since you can't remove the key except in park).
Old 01-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Hi biplaneguy,

i went to to his school and it shifted into park fine.

Its been near zero for a week plus and this is the first time it happened.
I will have him carry a extra key like you do until I Have a chance to look into it.

If I find a answer I will reopen this

has anyone else seen this? I can't imagine it's just us 2.

thanks,
Joe
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Find the shift interlock (or park interlock) and disconnect it to see if will shift into Park. Look for a black sheathed cable running from the shifter to the steering column.

The FSM for my 97 covers adjustment of the cable. I can only assume 98-01 are the same. This may or may not be your solution, but if youd like to try it, here it is.

1. Shift transmission into Park.
2. Turn ignition switch to the Lock position.
3. remove shifter bezel and console screws.
4. Pull cable lock button up to release cable.
5. Pull cable forward. Then release cable and press cable lock button down until it snaps into place.
6. Check adjustment as follows:
a. Check movement of release shift handle button (floor shift) or release lever (column shift).
You should not be able to press button or move shifter.
b. Turn ignition switch to the On position.
c. Press floor shift lever release button or move cloumn lever, then shift into Neutral.
If the cable adjustment is correct, the ignition switch cannot be turned to the Lock position. Perform the same check with the transmission in D.
7. Move shift lever back into Park and check ignition switch operation. You should be able to turn the switch to the Lock position and shift lever release button or lever should not move.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 01-03-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Hey fb97xj1,

thanks for for the instructions.

if and when we catch a break with the weather I may try that to see if it helps.

Im not sure how the cold weather would affect that. But maybe it will.

someone else out there must have seen and fixed this before.
Biplaneguy symptoms are exactly the same as ours. So I imagine others have had it happen too.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM

If something is returned into position via spring force, and it's greasy or wet, it could very well stiffen or freeze up in the cold. Lord knows I certainly stiffen up in the cold!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 PM

biplaneguy,

yeah, the cold does some weird stuff. Especially with old grease.

And I'm old and beat up so I'm with you on the getting stiff and sore in this weather.

I'm ready for spring.

thanks,
Joe