Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #1

View waterfowlde's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default 2000 rear brakes

hello everyone, my name is ed and i own a 2000 xj that i recently put all new parts in doing a rear brake drum job, i'm having a problem with the e-brake working, before i did the brakes and with the old brakes the e-brake would hold tight at half way up, now that i put the new shoes and everything else you could replace on the e-brake comes all the way up and barely holds the jeep. if i adjust the e-brake to where it should be the shoes are not just dragging but holding. i would appreciate anyone info or opion on the problem i'm having. thank you.......ed
waterfowlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #2

View robertj's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you adjust your shoes by spinning the adjustment wheel after you installed them? They should barely drag after you install/adjust them.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #3

Cherokee

thanks for the reply, yes i adjusted the brakes till i had a drag and i have no e-brake but if i adjust them to where the e-brake should be the drums are locked up tight, when i did the rear drums years ago i adjusted till i had a slight drag and the e-brake only went up a quarter of the way and held the jeep tight. and after that every oil change i would adjust a little at a time. and with the bad shoes the e-brake held just pass half way up. now i have a slight drag but i have to pull it tight all the way up(where ive never had it) tto make it hold.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View storm101's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

I havnt actually done it yet, but there is a separate E-brake cable adjustment you can do....and all it effects is the e-brake application, if you replaced the shoes, springs, so on so fourth, i would start researching on how to do that, if i find the info again i will post it up for you.

That would be the fix youre looking for I do believe
storm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #5

View Sc00ter's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

There is a secondary ebrake adjustment about half way down the bottom of the vehicle on my 94xj. Used a pair vise grips and a box end wrench to tighten/loosen (after new pads) along with a liberal coating of penetrating oil (everything was rusted). Just trace the ebrake cables forward from the axle and you will find the adjustment. If you can disassemble and properly reassemble a set of rear drum brakes, you will easily figure out the adjuster.
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
CF Veteran

1999 Cherokee

yes in the actual cable.....in the equalizer (where the single cable splits with a mechanism into 2 cables that run into the separate drums) pretty sure there is a nut on a threaded rod on the equalizer, thats what youre going to want to look at....pull your e brake handle 2-3 clicks, tighten it up and keep checking for the drag...when you get drag, back off till its gone, and recheck the engagement/disengagement on your handle.....repeat until you have it where you want it
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #7

Cherokee

thanks alot for the perfect information guys, i feel stupid now but my e-brake works great...lol...if the adjustment would have been a snake i would have got bitten the adjustment was so close. after ready the responses i went out and sprayed lube on it and before i left work i did like yous said and now i have great brakes and e-brake. thanks alot once again.....ed
Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #8

View robertj's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how the issue was resolved.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #9

View Sc00ter's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

That is exactly what these pages are for- exchange of information, helping each other. I have learned sooooo much and have saved soooooo much moolah since joining and I learn every day. I am glad the adjustment worked!
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
CF Veteran

1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
That is exactly what these pages are for- exchange of information, helping each other. I have learned sooooo much and have saved soooooo much moolah since joining and I learn every day. I am glad the adjustment worked!
x2
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech