Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2" Lift personal choice?

Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2" Lift personal choice?

First off I'd like to say that I've done my research into the pros and cons of all the different types of lift kits, so I'm not trying to **** anyone off by asking repeat questions that are easily answered in the stickies...

I'm simply trying to determine what would be the lesser of two evils for my specific vehicle use. Add-a-leaf or blocks?

A lot of you would likely say "just spend the extra money and get new leaf packs" but hear me out on this. I do not do much if any "off-roading". Almost all of my driving is around town on paved roads, sometimes driving through deep snow during the winter and maybe the occasional drive down a bumpy dirt road to my cabin. So my philosophy of use for my Jeep is not as extreme or heavy-duty as a lot of people who would be lifting their vehicles. I'd also like to note that I do not plan on owning this vehicle for more than a few years...not that I don't want to keep it in good shape, but that mindset doesn't exactly lend itself to long-term thinking.

So why am I even bothering to lift it? Looks, for one. Yea I think it looks cool and for the extremely rare, worst-case driving scenarios I think the extra clearance may prove beneficial.
Add to the fact that I have front spacers and both a set of blocks and add-a-leafs given to me free (leafs were lightly used, blocks are brand new) And I figure for no more cost other than a few hours of my time I may as well give my jeep a boost.

My question is whether to use the blocks or leafs for the rear. Since I really only use my jeep for light duty applications and daily driving, is it ok to just use the blocks and not sacrifice ride quality like the add-a-leafs are said to do? Or am I better off with the add-a-leafs to prevent the "axle-wrap" that I have read about? Would axle-wrap even be an issue the way I use my jeep?

Any input is greatly appreciated folks. Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

between the two, go with the add a leafs. blocks will wear out your leafs faster and like you said, create bad axle wrap. plus, if the blocks are made of aluminum they could crack or split in half. so then it becomes a hazard. what i would recommend is making a bastard pack, which basically involves adding leafs from a cherokee or different vehicle on your existing leafs. they are stiff, but they hold out much better than add a leafs, and they're pretty cheap to make too. similar to an add a leaf except your cutting the eyes off the main leaf of a dakota, s10, or XJ and adding them to your pack. different combinations of different packs gain different amounts of lift. try doing a search and you should fine more info on bastard packs.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM

with factory leaf springs being so prone to sagging why not go with Quadratecs HD replacments.... those will give right at 2" of lift and with 2" spacers in front on the factory coils it still rides good.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Hmm, how much would those replacement springs cost? Like I said originally the only reason I'm considering using add-a-leafs or blocks is because they were free. Would I be better off to not install a lift at all until I feel like shelling out $4-500 for a complete kit?

By the way, the blocks I have are steel (at least they attract a magnet so I know they aren't aluminum) so I don't think I'd have to worry so much about breaking them.

I'm starting to think I may go with the add-a-leafs as a short term solution
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jwe2

By the way, the blocks I have are steel (at least they attract a magnet so I know they aren't aluminum)

i m so happy to see that people are using their head for once
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by CheapCherokee
.....bad axle wrap......
Deep snow does it to my stock '98, especially with 30s on it.
Running a narrower tread 235 now and don't notice it as much, but in deep, heavy snow, the rear axle would start to hop - even with no blocks.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Has anyone used the stock springs rancho offers for the xj?