Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ - Adding OEM Cruise Control

Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 AM
ACC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ - Adding OEM Cruise Control

All:
I need a question answered regarding adding OEM Cruise Control to my 1999 XJ.

I've done some research and have found that it is fairly simple to do, and I have confirmed that my jeep is pre-wired for cruise control which is good news. Everything that I have read indicates that to add Cruise Control to my XJ, all I will need are the following items:
  • Cruise Control - Steering wheel switches with wiring
  • Clock spring with cruise control wiring
  • Servo with cable
I now have questions regarding my existing airbag and cover. I have found conflicting information on the internet that would indicate that I may need an airbag and cover 'with cruise control, in lieu of what I currently have. Can anyone confirm that my existing airbag and cover - without Cruise is compatible and will work if I add the other items noted to add the cruise control feature?

Looking forward to any response and recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your help!
ACC

Last edited by ACC; 06-25-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
ACC

Can someone tell me the difference between an airbag with cruise control vs. an airbag with out cruise control on for a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ? If there is a difference, can the airbag without cruise be modified to fit/work?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no difference. I just installed mine using parts from the junk yard about a month ago. It works great. My Jeep is a 2000. Check out this video.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 AM
ACC

Thanks for your reply, and the video link!
I had already seen that video which was extremely helpful, but I'm guessing that the gentleman in video perchased all the parts at the junk yard at the same time and from the same vehicle. If that was the case, the airbag was most likely 'with cruise control'. He does change out his air bag on his '98, but that was due to the airbag's configuration. He doesn't talk too much about it, other than how to make the connections and install it.
Most of what I have read does not indicate that the airbag needs to be swapped out, but Jeep does/did offer two different code numbers for 'with' or 'without' cruise control', hence the confusion.
So just to confirm, your 2000 XJ did not have cruise control, and you added it without swapping out the original 'without' cruise airbag and everything worked out, correct?
Let me know when you can, and thank you for all your help.
I just want to be sure that I have all the correct parts in hand before I start the project.
ACC
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 AM

good day

I actually just finished this project on my 98 XJ 3 days ago

you are correct it is very easy to do.

also make sure you get cruise control switches from a '99-01, not a 97-98 as they are different, the design is the same but the ohm resistance is different

as to your airbag question its various on the date the jeep was manufactured. i needed to replace my airbagm it was a full unit

the one pictured below is what i had

Name:  mGul5Q7RGdw2S8fjlmf4Apg.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  5.5 KB

the one you need is this one

now some non-cruise jeeps come with the 2nd airbag pictured with blank buttons where the cruise goes.

If you have that in you 99 xj than you are good

Simon
Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 AM

I also used a clockspring from a 98 Neon,

if you cant find XJ's in the junkyard like me, super rare for some reason, you should be able to easily find a neon as they were more popular.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 AM

Yes I had the lower pictured airbag that Bootleg shows in his picture. I had solid "dummy" switch plates where the cruise switches belong and just swapped them out with the switch panels. It's all plug n play as long as you have the correct year switches.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM
ACC

Fantastic, thank all of you for your help!

I'm guessing that the Jeep parts code for 'with or without' cruise control refers to the two type airbags shown, which makes perfect sense. I do have the newer version airbag with the 'blanks. and fortunately there are a handful of XJ's at a junk yard with CC near my house, so I just have salvage the control switches over the weekend.

The Servo(used) arrived yesterday, and the Clock Spring (used) should be here on Saturday/Monday. To save time and effort, I decided to just order them on e-bay. They were tested and in working order with a 60 day warranty. Now that the my airbag questions have been answered, it looks like I'll have CC in my XJ sometime next week!

Again, many thanks to all.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM
ACC

FYI - Cruise Control install went as planned and without any major issues.
Thank you again
Old 06-29-2014, 09:59 PM

Glad to hear you got everything installed and working. I use mine all the time now.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:07 PM

So I just did the cruise install and it seems the servo wire is too tight causing it to pull on the TB. When I start the Jeep it revs to about 2K RPM. As soon as I disconnect the cruise servo wire from the TB all is back to normal. Any suggestions or adjustments that can be made? Or do I need a new cruise servo module?

Disclaimer: I'm super new to Jeeps and today was the first time I picked up a wrench.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by L2daGee
So I just did the cruise install and it seems the servo wire is too tight causing it to pull on the TB. When I start the Jeep it revs to about 2K RPM. As soon as I disconnect the cruise servo wire from the TB all is back to normal. Any suggestions or adjustments that can be made? Or do I need a new cruise servo module?

Disclaimer: I'm super new to Jeeps and today was the first time I picked up a wrench.
Ok. So it seems I'm an idiot and I did not have the cruise cable connected all the way. It clicks in to lock. Cruise control now works, however I now have another issue.

After driving, when I put it back in park, I get a high idle. A check under the hood revealed that the throttle was staying open just a hair. A simple push and it went down and remained there.

After testing with the cruise servo cable disconnected, I didn't get the issue. I'm going to try cleaning the throttle body area and see if it makes a difference. It seems this old jeep's throttle is just not used to having the slighty extra weight of the cruise control cable connected.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by L2daGee
Ok. So it seems I'm an idiot and I did not have the cruise cable connected all the way. It clicks in to lock. Cruise control now works, however I now have another issue.

After driving, when I put it back in park, I get a high idle. A check under the hood revealed that the throttle was staying open just a hair. A simple push and it went down and remained there.

After testing with the cruise servo cable disconnected, I didn't get the issue. I'm going to try cleaning the throttle body area and see if it makes a difference. It seems this old jeep's throttle is just not used to having the slighty extra weight of the cruise control cable connected.
Solved. A simple cleaning of the area where the cables connect to the throttle and no more high idle in park. Cruise works great.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

^ Great job considering you're new to Jeeps and wrenching.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Steve you will have a good time with your Jeep being your not afraid to work on it and follow a clear path to a correct end.

CONGRATS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ - Adding OEM Cruise Control