Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cherokee Horn Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 Cherokee Horn Issue

I've read 3 pages of Horn problems so far, just so you good folks know I didn't forget the Search Button.

- The horn does not work from pressing the steering wheel.
- The fuse in the passenger kick panel is good, so that's not it.
- The horn honks if I use the remote to lock the vehicle, thus we know the horns are in working condition.
- The Cruise Control works, and there is no Air Bag Light on the dash, so we know the Clock Spring should still be in good condition.

I really need help with the horn button or actuator or whatever it should be called within the steering wheel. Is it integrated into the Air Bag package or is it hidden behind the Air Bag? If it is integrated would I have to replace the Air Bag? If so that's a craptacular design .
Anyone have some instructions to safely check? I know I have to disco the battery, but I read there is a capacitor near or in the Air Bag. Anyone know how to safely discharge this, or is it a waiting game for it to lose charge?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Hate to bump my own thread but I really need to pass inspection. Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

I hope you get a reply.
I have the exact same problem. I mean exactly!
I'm in no hurry as I don't need this jeep till the snow melts, sometime in August but I also don't want to have to take off the steering wheel.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Popped airbag out, check continuity on the horn power lead, seems there is no power. I figure there is a break or short somewhere, but I can't find which wire it is within/outside of the steering column, there are SO MANY!

Anyone have a pic of which wiring harness under the dash contains the horn power lead? This thing is killing me.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Update:

Removed Steering Column Trim and found harness leading into Clockspring has power. If I jump it the horn will sound. Positive Horn Lead on steering wheel side of clockspring will not sound the horn when jumpered. Thus the clockspring is probably faulty. The real rub is it is only the horn portion of the clockspring. Cruise works. No airbag light.
So either I buy a new clockspring for 135, try to repair this one (I suck at soldering ) or hook up an alternate horn button using the known good circuit. I've got a cool button, its an arcade button like the ones you used to smash all day playing PacMan etc. Decisions decisions ...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Installed the Arcade Button in the left Cigarette Lighter spot. It works great and I love the look of it. Got pics and going to do a write-up this week. $5 button vs $135 clockspring and $35 steering wheel pulled? Yes please.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:02 PM

Default Horn not working, airbag light on, rear drivwr side window , elec doorlocks nt wkg

I did not fix the horn problem, but I did wire my own horn button up. I just bypassed everything and made the horn is totally separate circuit. I mounted the horn button on the dash.

to pass inspection it just says you have to have a horn -not have a horn that you have to press the steering wheel to get to work.

this does not fix the real problem but I need to get the door locks and the other problems listed in the header of this post fixed.

is it more likely that the wiring passing from the door panels to the front - causing the problem or would the ignition switch on the steering will be a better place to look?

this is a Cherokee Sport 2000, 2 wheel drive. I still do not have a good fuse panel diagram of the interior fuses and what they mean.

any help appreciated.

rr

Last edited by rrb6699; 11-27-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: incomplete when submitted.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:09 PM

Year: 96
Default Horn wire color?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but, same sort of problem.
1996 Cherokee, original owner, 234K miles with no major repairs.
No cruise, no airbag light. If I honk the horn it will sound, but it will also kill the engine. Dead.
Have gone thru the entire entire horn system, just about has to be the clockspring in the column somehow shorting the ignition. Not going to remove the airbag and pull the wheel.
Inspection time is coming and I have in mind to just put a horn button on the dash. My question is, what wire do I need to relocate to the new horn button? What color?
My plan is to cut it where it goes into the column, but I have no wiring diagram or factory manual.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
Greg
2MBs
2GPWs
1 Hot Rod M38
96 Cherokee
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM

2000 cherokee sport, airbag light on, horn does not work but when i lock the car using the fob the horn beeps, this vehicle does not have cruise control. the fuses are ok. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2016, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by paulie
2000 cherokee sport, airbag light on, horn does not work but when i lock the car using the fob the horn beeps, this vehicle does not have cruise control. the fuses are ok. Any thoughts?

The RKE system bypasses the horn switch in the steering wheel so when you use your FOB it will bypass the clockspring/horn switch and beep the horn.

With a Airbag light on and horn inop from the steering wheel I suspect a defective clockspring. You're lucky - a replacement clockspring with cruise control is hard to find and expensive.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response,CCKen, I will have clockspring changed.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CCKen
The RKE system bypasses the horn switch in the steering wheel so when you use your FOB it will bypass the clockspring/horn switch and beep the horn. With a Airbag light on and horn inop from the steering wheel I suspect a defective clockspring. You're lucky - a replacement clockspring with cruise control is hard to find and expensive.
I second this; bad clockspring, I have both cruise and non cruise for sale if interested, just shoot me a pm.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:48 PM

Default Bump

hello, I am having the same problem no problem what so even in the airbag light,

I've then check the "Circle thing" right infront of the airbag after the airbag is removed, the one right behind the honk switch outside of it (its sorta like a plastic with circular sensor for the honk when it press it.... please help, i've search ebay or amazon i don't even know the exact name.... can someone help????
Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default What color were the horn wires fo you remember?

[QUOTE=Autonomous;826094]Installed the Arcade Button in the left Cigarette Lighter spot. It works great and I love the look of it. Got pics and going to do a write-up this week. $5 button vs $135 clockspring and $35 steering wheel pulled? Yes please.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:07 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Autonomous
Installed the Arcade Button in the left Cigarette Lighter spot. It works great and I love the look of it. Got pics and going to do a write-up this week. $5 button vs $135 clockspring and $35 steering wheel pulled? Yes please.
Hello, I know this is old but I have the same problem with my 99 jeep. How did you hook up the button? I have one already and just haven't attempted it. Did you ever post a how to on it? Any help would be great and much appreciated!

Quick Reply: 1999 Cherokee Horn Issue