Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 XJ Runs Like Crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 XJ Runs Like Crap

Hello. I recently purchased a 1998 XJ, 4x4, Automatic, 4.0 I6 with 160000 miles. There is no catalytic converter on it, and only the upstream o2 sensor is on. I am using Autolite plugs. It rarely starts, when it does it starts after the key has come back a little. It idles really rough, and on acceleration, backfires rapidly at 2000 rpms. I have checked power on all gauges, and they all read NO POWER. PCM? I need help in my fixing process. I have ordered a catalytic converter and o2 sensor. I will put them on in a week. After that, what should I check and replace. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Once you have those installed those see what codes your getting then. In the mean time clean all electrical connections from steering column to the PCM along with all sensor connections. Disconnect clean use dielectric grease then reconnect without bending pins but seated solidly.

If you have not done a "complete" tune-up since purchase it might be a good time to consider that also to rule those out.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Do Not use dielectric grease on any ground connection or in a connector.

Use only on exterior light bulb sockets and spark plug boots.,
Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HunterRivett
Hello. I recently purchased a 1998 XJ, 4x4, Automatic, 4.0 I6 with 160000 miles. There is no catalytic converter on it, and only the upstream o2 sensor is on. I am using Autolite plugs. It rarely starts, when it does it starts after the key has come back a little. It idles really rough, and on acceleration, backfires rapidly at 2000 rpms. I have checked power on all gauges, and they all read NO POWER. PCM? I need help in my fixing process. I have ordered a catalytic converter and o2 sensor. I will put them on in a week. After that, what should I check and replace. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
What do you mean by gauges all read NO POWER?

Fuse #9 in the Junction Block (passenger footwell fuse panel) powers the instrument cluster, fuse #16 in the Power Distribution Center (engine bay) also provides power to the instrument cluster. Fuse #16 is the IOD fuse, identified on the PDC cover.

Name:  99XJJunctionBlock-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  78.1 KB
Old 11-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
What do you mean by gauges all read NO POWER?

Fuse #9 in the Junction Block (passenger footwell fuse panel) powers the instrument cluster, fuse #16 in the Power Distribution Center (engine bay) also provides power to the instrument cluster. Fuse #16 is the IOD fuse, identified on the PDC cover.

When checking sensors, not gauges, sorry.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Do Not use dielectric grease on any ground connection or in a connector. Use only on exterior light bulb sockets and spark plug boots.,
out of curiosity, how come?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

When checking sensors, not gauges, sorry.
Sensors? Like the TPS, MAP, CPS?

You should have 5 volts +/- .5 volts at the connector Orange wire on each of these sensors with the ignition switch to RUN/ON position (without crankng the engne).
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Sensors? Like the TPS, MAP, CPS?

You should have 5 volts +/- .5 volts at the connector Orange wire on each of these sensors with the ignition switch to RUN/ON position (without crankng the engne).
One gauge, the TPS, said 0.4, all others said 0-0.1. No power.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do Not use dielectric grease on any ground connection or in a connector.

Use only on exterior light bulb sockets and spark plug boots.,
Ken I have always used the Dielectric Grease on any connections where water can come into contact with. I'm ashamed to say I have had a few 4x4's in the water up to the dash/over the engine several times in the past that were not greased and they really gave me problems later. Have always used on exterior lighting on about everything I own from the boat trailer to the Diesel Pusher Motor Home.

What problems have I caused by using it on the connectors for everything on my XJ? Have I went too far with a good thing, out thinking myself and ended up shooting myself in the foot

Wouldn't be the first time for sure lol.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Dielectric grease is non-conductive, it will prevent current flow. When used in an electrical connection such as a multi-pin, it can prevent pin contact unless all of grease on pins is pushed aside upon connecting.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Dielectric grease is non-conductive, it will prevent current flow. When used in an electrical connection such as a multi-pin, it can prevent pin contact unless all of grease on pins is pushed aside upon connecting.
makes sense now
Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by XJwonders
makes sense now
Conductive grease has the opposite effect and can cause big trouble as well.
If used on a multi-pin, it is done in tiny amounts directly on the pin. The grease can cause current to jump pins if too much is applied.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJwonders
out of curiosity, how come?
Dielectric grease is an insulator. Used in connectors that have marginal pin/cavity contact the dielectric grease will only serve to agrivate the situation. Same with ground connections; it will insulate the connection. There are conductive products that are specifically used for ground connections, like NOALOX and OX-GARD, but are not to be used in pin connectors.

If you check each connector on your Jeep you will not find dielectric grease in them, nor on the ground connections. You will find it being used on external lamps, like headlights and tail lights on just about all vehcles.

EDIT: As a side bar, a foum member PM'd me to tell me he had read one of my posts about not using dielectric grease on pin connectors. He stated that he had problems with his CPS so he removed the grease and it fixed his problem. Proof of the pudding mates.

Last edited by CCKen; 11-23-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

One gauge, the TPS, said 0.4, all others said 0-0.1. No power.
Hope you are using the 20 VDC scale on your digital voltmeter, and have the ignition switch to the ON/run position.

Generally, if you see low voltage readings on all the 5 volt supply voltage (Orange) sensor wires (like you are seeing) it means the PCM is bad. On the other hand, if you see voltages above the 5 volt +/- .5 volt spec it means the clockspring is bad.

Quick Reply: 1998 XJ Runs Like Crap